Pros and cons, ie, Windows 10

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Who's signing up? Just because it is free does not make it worth doing. We have several devices running Win 7. The all work well. What is Microsoft's game in offering it for free to users of 7 and 8.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Because they are trying to catch a bigger part of the market, especially with their phones, I have been running in 10 tech preview for quite a few months now and like it, very similar to Win 7 with a more robust back end that does not crash as often.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Will be interesting with the phones. I have been predicting that the windows phone will be dead within 5 years. Yesterday's news about Nokia makes it seem even more likely
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/8/891...-strategy-2015

I will stick with Windows 7 myself. The company I work for which is a high tech ethernet testing company is not switching away from Windows 7 anytime soon. All new computers we put into service have Windows 7 or Linux on them.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Will be interesting with the phones. I have been predicting that the windows phone will be dead within 5 years. Yesterday's news about Nokia makes it seem even more likely

I will stick with Windows 7 myself. The company I work for which is a high tech ethernet testing company is not switching away from Windows 7 anytime soon. All new computers we put into service have Windows 7 or Linux on them.

Not too many months ago, Win 7 was dead for new devices. Now you can get it anywhere on new laptops and PCs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not too many months ago, Win 7 was dead for new devices. Now you can get it anywhere on new laptops and PCs.

Hence one of the major reasons they are coming out with Windows 10 with a more friendly interface for those who don't like to change, like I said the basic change I have seen is a more robust back end causing less crashes and lock ups. Like I said, I like the Windows 10 tech release, and I will probably install on a couple of my computers that I have problems with running Windows 7.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I have had some experience with Wondows 10. The PC I am running 7 on at home will probably stay that way and the one running 8.1 will be upgraded for sure.

The best benefit is probably the Continuum feature, but it really is only useful when you have multiple windows devices. Programs are designed and optimized for the device you open it with.....like Bruce I don't see windows phones being around very much longer and while there are plenty of Surface Pros out there their tablet market isn't very strong either.

I think Microsoft would be in a much different place had they launched a version of windows like 10 as opposed to 8

The new browser is pretty nice though. You can run it in reading mode and completely remove ads and sidebars etc

thumpar

Admiral
I can still sell from the factory win 7 machines. I have not sold a single win 8 machine. We are HP authorized. They are not old computers they just have the downgrade rights and that is installed on them when I get them.

I did sign up for the upgrade on both my win 7 laptop and win 8 desktop. When the preview came out I installed it in VM and really like it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hmm......Microshaft trying to pull a fast one again I would guess...........

Anything "Free" from them will have 'conditions'............

I am already running a "Free" as in "Free Beer" operating system.

I have been using Free and OpenSource Linux since 1999. OpenSuSE to be exact https://en.opensuse.org/

But most people seem to like Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/ or "Mint" http://www.linuxmint.com/

I am watching Ubuntu closely because they're going to have a version for all hardware including phones, tablets and TV's

You download it for free, install it for free...................... AND, with only very few exceptions, there's a Linux application for just about everything you might want to do.

(And although there are Linux based financial programs, There IS NO TurboTax [yet]........But I have a Winblows computer I use only for TT)

For everything else....... internet browsing (Firefox), Email (Thunderbird), word processing, spread sheets, etc (LibreOffice) .................

I'll stay with Linux.

Cheers Y'all,

Rick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My stepson dragged all his laptops on vacation for him to update today. Halfway thru the upgrade it failed and reverted back to windows 7

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is great Rick, us that know and have learned Linux do just fine with it, but it ain't no bed of roses for the majority of the computing world, despite trying to knock them off their pedestal Windows still rules the PC market for the majority of the world.

thumpar

Admiral
I like Linux and have a live disc at all times. That doesn't work so well in a business environment though. People want roaming profiles, domain policy, office, quickbooks, etc.

oldjeep

Admiral

I sure hope not, having to downgrade to an Android or iPhone would truly suck.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Obviously I am NOT a computer guru by any stretch. However I too had a Windows icon show up asking me if I was interested in the FREE Windows 10 when it comes out. We, my wife and I, both replied yes. And now I get a message telling me Windows 10 will not work on our laptop computers. We have Dell Inspiron laptops. So much for that...

bassman284

Commander
Well, say a prayer for me, kids. I started the Windows 10 update on my desktop about 20 minutes ago. Just hit 47%. Oops, 48%. The hair on the back of my neck is standing straight out.

bassman284

Commander
Wow. Now at 95%. Either I'm almost done or I'm just about to be slurped up by aliens. If you don't hear from me in a couple of hours, send help.

bassman284

Commander
Whew! Done, I guess. Got a little scary here and there but I didn't panic. I'm assuming I will eventually figure out where everything went.

sam60

Captain
The icon is telling me it will be available in August. Internet Explorer on Toshiba Satellite....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm so use to Win 8.1 that I don't see upgrading soon. Daughter feels the same way...