Odorless aerosol bug spray...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The lady loves gardening. Loves it maybe a little too much...!

Beginning in March, which in Wisconsin is still cold, she begins to regenerate the old bulbs and roots she salvaged from her flower gardens the previous fall. This occurs in a section of my workroom, in the basement. (Still a couple of them under the lights even today, June 21st...!)

The problem is the tiny flying insects that come off these plants once they begin to leaf out. I've hung fly strips and, a few weeks later, taken them down with literally thousands of dead bugs on them. I tried spraying one of these indoor/outdoor insect killers from a spray bottle set to "mist", but that didn't seem to impact these guys much. Lots of dead ones on the floor in other areas of the basement, but still plenty of them in the air over the plants, and a few upstairs in the living areas.

I used good old Black Flag from an aerosol can a couple of times and that seems to "clear the air" quite nicely for a while. The problem with this is the odor. She has asthma and the odor just stops her in her tracks.

Has anyone ever come across an odorless bug spray in aerosol form in the U.S., and had good results from it?

(I looked on-line and noted that these seem to be available in other countries, but can't find anything in the U.S..)

Thanks in advance.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We use the off brand with corn starch in it, no odor, goes on dry and works really good. Both of us always keep the little electric off brand bud deterrents on when we are outside, I have asthma as well and have never had a problem with it.

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Are you looking for an insect repellent or a killer?
The way I read your OP, seems like you are trying to kill them outright.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Insects and Other Bulb Pests
When present, aphids or plant lice are usually found on succulent young growing tips. They may transmit virus diseases. Grayish or powdery white aphids may occur on tulip bulbs. Spray with insecticidal soap, imidacloprid, cyfluthrin, permethrin, or malathion. Dust bulbs with a 1% lindane dust before planting or storage.

Spider mites affect summer-blooming bulbs or bulbs forced indoors. Tiny, light colored spots on leaves and webbing on the underside of leaves are evidence of infestation. Dust with sulfur, apply granular disulfoton, or spray with miticides, esfenvalerate, or insecticidal soap.

Bulb mites are minute white mites found in rotting bulbs. Scabby and pitted bulbs are signs of these pests. Discard all infested and rotten bulbs.

Narcissus bulb fly and lesser bulb fly come from plump yellow maggots, 1/2 to 3/4 inches long, which tunnel in rotting bulbs of narcissus and daffodils. Discard all soft and rotting bulbs. Drench soil around plants with dylox 80% SP, at label specified rates to prevent bulb fly problems.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I'm guessing dingbat listed a product label. There's also various do my own pest control websites that sell the same stuff the pros use. You can look one of them up and read some labels.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm guessing dingbat listed a product label. There's also various do my own pest control websites that sell the same stuff the pros use. You can look one of them up and read some labels.

I've never come across a product label that advised you to use a compounds other than those inside the container. ;)