Boy I like my Turbo Diesel, but!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is really a pain in the butt when you have to work on it, it is an old 6.9 IDI with a ATS after market turbo on it, makes great a lot of low end power, but man, I am trying to change the oil pressure sending unit which sits on the back of the engine near the firewall and under the main turbo housing, I have never in my life used so many wobbly attachments to get to something!

:eek:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I will not say thats nothing!:D

BUT, try taking off a turbo on a power stroke, then lets talk wobbly bits! and shooting in the dark to get a few hidden bolt heads AHHHHHHH,, LOL

BTW have you had to replace the diesel fuel return line check valve on your IDI, I need to do that one here this week- fuels bleeding back over night and the engines loosing prime- PITA to start

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I will not say thats nothing!:D

BUT, try taking off a turbo on a power stroke, then lets talk wobbly bits! and shooting in the dark to get a few hidden bolt heads AHHHHHHH,, LOL

BTW have you had to replace the diesel fuel return line check valve on your IDI, I need to do that one here this week- fuels bleeding back over night and the engines loosing prime- PITA to start

I have no desire to work on a power stroke, I like these old International oil burners, they are easy to figure out when something goes wrong and there are tons of parts around for them because they were used in so many different applications, I know a couple of guys that have IH tractors that have these engines in them. On my plow truck I had to do all of the fuel lines, they had rotted out, fortunately the guy that I bought it from had a complete fuel system kit he bought for it right before he sold it to me. The only thing I need to do on the plow truck now, is pull the starter so I can get to the darn engine block heater to figure out what is wrong with it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy, finally got the new sending unit in and change the oil today, this turkey takes 3 gallons of oil and the filter alone holds 2 quarts of oil, what a mess, no wonder the guy and Oil Can Henry's quoted me over a hundred bucks to change the oil! I spent over $50 just for the oil and the filter!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
WHOE there, My IDI does not take more than 7-8 quarts+- including the filter. Did you have a big oil cooler??

Power stroke takes about 15-18 quarts+-

rbh

Fleet Admiral
OK, let me rephrase that, 9+1 quarts with the regular filter- 1 extra quart with the powerstroke filter (just easier to get than the stock one sometimes)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nope it takes 11 quarts, and is showing full on the dipstick, but not over full, on this truck, the oil pan is about 1 inch deeper than my plow truck and it sounds great with the new oil and filter.

Last edited: