Boy this one really has me stumped!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
A couple of years ago, I purchased a Generac IX2000 digital inverter generator. Last year I couldn't get it started, so this weekend I tore it all apart, cleaned the carb, all the fuel lines, air passages, basically anything you could thing of. So I get it put back together, throw some fuel and oil in it, starts right up, sounds okay, after a while sound pretty good, I go out an check, the overload light is on. It is one of those crap moments. So I start playing around, plug one of my saber saws to it, when it is sitting level, will not run the saw, if I tip it on its nose, the saw takes off works fine, tip it to the side, saw takes off runs fine, sit it back to level, no go, overload! Now all of the functions are controlled by the inverter on this unit, which is an epoxy encased unit, so there should be no moving parts to be affected by moving it around!

Does anyone have any experience with these digital inverter generators, that might give me a direction to go with it? I called Generac, and because it is over a year, they won't even talk to me about it! They told me, it probably needs a new inverter, which they quoted me $677 for, hell I only paid $449 for the whole unit brand new!

alldodge

Staff member
I have a generac 5K but doesn't have the digital inverter. I found this on jackssmallengine, hope it helps some
1gen.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Dodge,

I have all of the manuals, a couple of years ago, I was certified in repairing generac generators because I help my buddy out who owns an RV shop, but I tell you what, this thing is driving me crazy! I think I am just going to put it back in the box and ship it back to them, I purchased a generac because I was certified on them and we have no service centers here, but I figured with my certification I could fix it, but man this is what we called in the Army a "No Joy" situation. So I am just going to ship it back to them and they can deal with it when it is sitting on their front door step! I am going to go buy a Honda!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we used to sell the same 2kw genny under a few different names comming in from TTI like most of them. they are truely disposable units because they cost more to fix than buy new. even if you could get parts, the labor is worth more than the unit.

with that stated, you could probably find a unit on ebay with a bad carb (another known issue), get if for a song and make one unit out of two. you can also hit up your local pawn shop.

a few things to check
bad wiring in harness
end play in the alternator section

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Reading under the influence_! LOL

OK is there a low oil shut off? is any of the ac plugs got grunge in it enough to short to ground? blow the fields clean with compressed air.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Scott, thanks, I went through that stuff, but with only about 4.5 hours on it, it should still run like new, I am a very patient person, but even my wife said, send it back to them and see what they have to say and get a new one, even she is tired of listening to me about this thing and really she don't listen to much I have to say, unless I repeat it time and time again! LOL. What is so sad, is I am in the market for a pad mount home back up system and I was really looking at one of theirs, but with this experience and the way they have reacted, I won't buy a Generac for the home system, hell I have had a regular Champion Chinese 4400 watt for years and that sucker sits outside in the snow, rain and what ever the weather can throw at it, all I have to do is pour gas in it and pull the rope, starts right up and runs great!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all the 2kw gensets come from one plant in china. I dont care if it carries the name Generac, Ryobi, Rigid, Gravely, Milwaukee, etc. they come from the same plant that makes most of the weed whacker motors. Just like Tohatsu makes most of the outboards under 40hp and puts everyone elses decals and paint on them.

you may also want to check the carb float level. did the RPM's come up when you tilted it?

ehenry

Commander
I had a generac 8K NG standby unit on my house for 14 years. It had an auxillary oil tank that kept the engine crankcase full no matter how long the unit ran. One saturday morning I went to the parts house for something and the genset cranked and ran for its weekly excersise while I was gone. WHen I pulled back in the drive way there was a low fog around the house. The genset for what ever reason started sucking oil out of that auxillary tank and burning it. I called generac about it and they were totally worthless. They would not tell me one thing about it. When I got done giving the guy on the phone an expletive laced ear full and that I would never ever buy a generac product again and tell everyone I knew the same thing and what my experience was with their level of support, the guy says well you can just remove the tank. It really wont hurt a thing. When I asked why he didnt just tell me that to begin with he says his manager was sitting there but had walked out and the company is too worried about law suits to help the end user of their products.

I've got a 20KW NG Milbank unit now. No problems with it yet.

Last edited: