Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Got a loud, uninsulated, rattly service van. What are the best units to consider?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I do know that the very best setups are when bluetooth is integrated into your car stereo system but I do not want to spend that kind of money on an old '97 E150 with 323K on it.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
We had a parrot in our Murano. Had it professionally installed and it started cutting the stereo out after a few months. I think we spent about 600 on it all said and done. Had to get a $50 visor unit to replace the parrot and it worked about as good add the parrot.

I would either get a visor one or just update your head unit to one with Bluetooth. I think Crutchfield has these pretty reasonable. Stereos aren't too hard or expensive to install.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Radios with bluetooth are not that expensive, the DVD head unit I put in my Explorer has blue tooth, 8 speaker surround sound, USB as well as Firewire and Micro SD input, I paid less than $200 bucks for it, it was a simple plug in install, took me about 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Radios with bluetooth are not that expensive, the DVD head unit I put in my Explorer has blue tooth, 8 speaker surround sound, USB as well as Firewire and Micro SD input, I paid less than $200 bucks for it, it was a simple plug in install, took me about 15 minutes.

I'll stop by my local CarToys and see what they have. I am worn weary trying to figure out how to disassemble modern dashes, shift consoles, door panels, door handles, etc. I do not relish the idea of trying to swap radio units.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Radios are simple these days, on the Fords, either you have the push pin locks or you have 4 screws, so they are all easy, everything has gone modular, if you have two holes on each side of the radio, just make a tool out of a metal coat hanger, push in the hole and it will release the radio. I would not go to car toys, the last DVD head unit, I picked up at Walmart, it was less expensive for the same brand I could get a car toys.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Radios are simple these days, on the Fords, either you have the push pin locks or you have 4 screws, so they are all easy, everything has gone modular, if you have two holes on each side of the radio, just make a tool out of a metal coat hanger, push in the hole and it will release the radio. I would not go to car toys, the last DVD head unit, I picked up at Walmart, it was less expensive for the same brand I could get a car toys.

For my '06 Explorer, I think at minimum you have to pop the reveal moulding from around the radio. My E150 has the holes in the front of the faceplate that you stick a pin in and release the radio.

On the unit that you bought at Wally World, do you have a model and was it plug an play as far as all the connectors go?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Now a days, you just have to buy a plug adapter kit, hook a few wires up to the radio and plug into the existing factory wiring, pretty easy as everything is labeled in the diagrams. The Explorer face plate comes off real easy, then you will see the screws that hold it in, the E150, you just release the pins and do the same thing with the wiring.

I will see if I can dig the box out for the head unit I got, I am sure they upgraded, it has been a couple of years since I purchased mine, but in either case, it is not difficult to add them these days.

thumpar

Admiral
I bought an Alpine with bluetooth for about $139. It came with the microphone too.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can buy a Jabra Cruiser for $50 or less. It will play on itself or through your fm radio.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can buy a Jabra Cruiser for $50 or less. It will play on itself or through your fm radio.

My GF uses a Jabra Cruiser as well. Sounds fine when I am talking to her and she is sing it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
My GF uses a Jabra Cruiser as well. Sounds fine when I am talking to her and she is sing it.

Bruce, I hope she is not sing (ing) to you! :laugh: What I do not understand is this statement off of a Jabra Cruiser review on CNET.

"If you need even more volume than the integrated speaker can offer, then you can use the built-in FM transmitter to select an FM-band frequency on which to broadcast calls and music. Then use your car's radio to tune to the same frequency to hear the audio through your vehicles speakers."

Does this mean that you do not need a bluetooth capable car radio to hear over the vehicles audio system?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
She uses hers with just the built in speaker. It is plenty loud.