New puter, referb.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I got tired of fighting with the old one freezing up and every different blue screen I've ever seen so I went shopping. At 1st I was deciding between just locating a new MB for the Pent. Dual Core or building a whole new one. Then I started looking at New prebuilt and while doing that I came across a refurbished HP desktop with an i7 processor in it, 500gig HD and 4 gig memory running Win7 Pro. So after thinking about it a couple days and getting more aggravated with the old one I was convinced by the one with the brains in the family to just buy it.

So here it sits, still loading programs and moving files and so far I'm pretty pleased with it.

southkogs

Staff member
WIN 7 is a nice OS. It seemed to have stabilized after a while and got pretty solid. Not XP, but not 8 either.

Congrats on the new box. I buy almost all of my Mac stuff refurbished.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Was using Win7 on the old one which was originally XP. Seeing 7 pro is a little different than 7 Premium.
This one is also all Sata so now I need to figure how to get everything off those old IDE drives I have. I've got other Sata drives but they all have stuff on them too. Looks like I have some work ahead of me. Like a 120gig IDE drive that is half full of iTunes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The best way is to pick up a IDE external enclosure off ebay for less than $15 take your drives out of your old machine, plug in to a USB port and start copying your stuff to the new computer, I always have 3 or 4 enclosures just for this purpose, I also have a couple of 2.5 drive enclosures so I can move stuff from old laptop drives.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
If it is IDE enclosure, how do you plug it in to a USB port?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, the enclosure is for an IDE drive, but it uses a USB interface to plug into another computer, just as a external drive you buy at the store.

:facepalm:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I have just seen some docking stations that will accept both IDE and Sata drives so I may look closer at those and order one.

Still having a problem with Outlook email. I can send emails just fine but in order to receive them I have to close and reopen Outlook. This is on an IMAP configuration and not a POP3. Any clues? And of course Charter isn't offering any support as they want us to use their web based email.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I like the enclosures, especially for the larger drives because they have their own power supply and seem to be more reliable for transferring big amounts of data. One of the IDE cases I have, with its own power supply cost me $7.95 on ebay and it shipped free.

Edit: I just re-read Bruce's link and noticed that does have a external power supply so that should work just fine.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks, I had been looking at docking stations but this may be a better solution.