Extreme data usage nightmare

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Verizon sold it to Frointier, in looking at their reviews online for internet service it a appears most reviewers would give them less than one star if possible.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Is this the company you are talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Communications

I will add, if you are rural, Like I am, sometimes you have to ignore the reviews and settle for what you can get and as you are finding out, what you did have, sometimes does not continue to work the way it is suppose to.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That is the provider.

Several people in the area switched to them and at first the speed and reliability was acceptable, but over time it slowed to a crawl and crashed periodically. I will need to see if these people have DSL or satalite Internet, they offer both.

I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get DSL here, or how far outside DSL zone I am.

I've had satalite internet from a couple different companies and it was terrible.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I've had satalite internet from a couple different companies and it was terrible.
My squadron used to use that on field exercises ... we almost always wound up using someone's mobile hotspot.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That information is way out of date, with the new repeater cards they can get much better distance performance than what they have quoted on there.

I don't even consider satellite to be an option, to much of a limit on bandwidth and cost is prohibitive to actually do anything with it. Dishnet is advertising their satellite internet all of the time, but if you read their disclaimers, it specifically states, it is for very low usage, not much more than checking email and perhaps a small amount of surfing, they show video downloads in their TV spots, but it is not realistic with the current technology.

If you are only a mile outside town, there should be no reason you can't get DSL at your home, that is only a little over 5000 feet and if they are running on the Verizon lines they should easily be good enough quality to get a signal. I know when we finally got DSL at our location, it was not through the phone company, but through a 3rd party provider in our area, once they hooked it up and showed it could be done, our phone company finally said yes, we can provide DSL to your location.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I agree, the distance is to the repeater. 12,000 feet is pretty much the limit electronically over 24 gauge twisted copper from node to node. Physics are physics and that hasn't changed over time.

Before they brought U-Verse in, I had to use a wireless internet service provider. Expensive and only around 500K bandwidth.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I am 29,040 feet from the switch, they tried to tell me I had to be within 15,000 feet and I showed them I did not have to be that close, I am the third person from the end of our road and now all of us have DSL, including the last person at the end of the road, who is 34,320 feet from the switch. It can be done with the technology and signal boosters they have these days.

Who do you guys have for a phone company where you live?
For a lot of the telcos out there they have "load Coils" still in the cable, these where placed at 6000 foot intervals (depending on gauge of cable sometimes).
A DSL signal will not go through a load coil, but voice/POTS will.
If the gauge of the cable is 19-22 you should be able to get it out to 4500-5500M at a decent speed with just removal of the load coil, any further than that I do not no what they use to boost the DSL signal.
A lot of telcos years back put in fiber hubs/nodes so they could get rid of the load coils and up their copper cable pair count---digital to analog and split the cable in half left feed right feed, doubles up the subscribers that can use the cable, and hopefully there is room in the cabinet for a DSL shelf.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
To add---- QOS, quality of service.
You may not get offered DSL due to QOS issues, so you might get offered dial up??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Frontier says their faster DSL service is now available here. Should be hooked up in about a week. I'll give it try and report back.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Frontier says their faster DSL service is now available here. Should be hooked up in about a week. I'll give it try and report back.

There ya go, it was worth the call, hope things work out for ya!

NYBo

Admiral
Verizon had a glitch in their software a year or so ago, giving hugely inflated data usage numbers and subsequent warnings. I wonder if the glitch has returned.

southkogs

Staff member
:rockon: Right on! Bandwidth to the wind kids!! Weeeeeehooooooooooo! :becky:

thumpar

Admiral
Hopefully Frontier is better in your area than it is here. You can also check for alternatives. There is a service in eastern Washington that covers a huge area using wireless (not regular wifi). They are mostly used in the less populated places because there is nothing else available.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I hope it's better, but I was at the local Verizon store today to do some stuff with my phone, they needed to download an app and said it could take a while. They said they use Frontier for internet and its very slow. They laughed amongst them selves at the idea of a Verizon wireless store using a land line for internet.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Got the DSL connected.

They said I could get high speed here, but that didn't happen, it's very slow. In addition to being slow it disconnects every few minutes requiring me to disconnect and then reconnect, but that doesn't always work, sometimes you just have to come back later.

The first box they sent me wouldn't work so they sent out a technician, he said the box they sent was for high speed and we don't get it here, he said they do that frequently and he needs to come out and switch them out.

If they can't solve the disconnect issue its almost worthless.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What are you defining high speed as and what are they defining high speed as? I know here locally, I define high speed as 5 mbs and up, the local provider defines it as 1 mbs as does the FCC. What is really frustrating, Yesterday, the FCC sent a grant to Frontier Communications to upgrade everybody in one of the counties close to me to high speed 5 mbs internet service, and that county has less than 2000 people in it, but they won't send our county of 100K any money to upgrade!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It was claimed to be in the 6 range, but 1 or less is what we have now. I tried to use it for this site and it would work fine at times, then stall and get slow, at times it would disconnect and say I was no longer connected to the Internet. This required disconnecting and reconnecting even though according to the signal I was still connected, every device we tried did the exact same thing. About five minutes is all you get before it disconnects.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just tried to use it again this morning, can't get an Internet connection today.

bassman284

Commander
The main things that affect DSL speed are quality of the phone line and distance from the hub. If your copper is in bad shape or you are too far from the hub, it will slow things down.

When I had DSL I could pretty reliably get 4-5 mbps and I'm about 2 miles from the hub. About three years ago they changed over to fiber optic and I get 40. I could get up to 200 if I wanted to pay for it.