I would love to throttle the person...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Who came up with the idea to use plastic door handles on hardened steel shafts in Vans with sliding doors! Big heavy door, harden the steel post, then put a plastic pull handle on it, with a screw through the middle of the handle! Always after a few years, the plastic teeth strip out on the inside handle. Tell me which MIT engineer thought this was a good idea!?

:pound:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Same guy that thought nylon bushings where better than brass bushings.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engineering rule: Design / Make an item that outlasts its own lifetime.

Business rule: Make a product (or part) last average 3 years (which is normal warranty period) and make tons over money later on - on selling replacement parts for it.

Does the worker follow their heart or upper management rules? NOT following upper management rules and they (the worker) is out the door - looking for a new job.

Been this way for years and will be worst in future years as well. Like they say, "we don't build things like we used to".... Make money is the new rule these days...

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
The trouble started when the bean counters got to have too much say in design and engineering.
Mike

NYBo

Admiral
Like they say, "we don't build things like we used to"...
And in most cases automotive, it's a darn good thing! Do you remember the "good old days" of frequent tune-ups, distributor points, carbs, drum brakes all around, etc., etc.?

dwco5051

Commander
And in most cases automotive, it's a darn good thing! Do you remember the "good old days" of frequent tune-ups, distributor points, carbs, drum brakes all around, etc., etc.?
Remember those days well. I was happy to get at least 10,000 miles out of a set of 6.00x16 tires. They were about 10 bucks each at Sears-Roebuck without the tubes. By the time they were worn out each tube might have been patched a couple of times.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I didn't mind those days at all, I could buy 6 sets of tires for what I pay for 2 tires these days! To buy a condenser and set of points cost about 3 bucks!

Last edited:

sam60

Captain
Throttling people is not good. Coming up with a better solution is.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Throttling people is not good. Coming up with a better solution is.

But throttling people is so much more fun! As for a solution, they had a solution to this before they started making plastic handles!

:lol: