Boat launch/ramp material

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey guys, hoping for some advice. Have a lake across the street and a small common boat launch/ramp area for kayaks, canoes, row boats and such. It's a small non motorized community lake. Currently the ramp is mostly dirt and sand. We want to refurbish and stabilize it a bit so there is less erosion from rain and use. I had suggested 3/4" clean stone about 3"-4" thick on the slope extending into the water a few feet. I'm sure it will need to be refurbished or re-raked every year and we're ok with that. Obviously something more permanent like concrete or modular units or even a floating dock would be better but money is an issue of course. I was also thinking maybe some geotexte fabric beneath the stone. Any suggestions? TIA

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We end up using a lot of recycled asphalt around here on the more remote lakes, it firms up in the sun and it pretty stable and it is cheap if you have a company in the area that chops it up for re-use. You might even talk to your local road dept to see if they might be willing to donate enough to do a small boat ramp.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Years ago I worked for a construction crew,in Wisconsin,we used blacktop as a filler along a very small creek. The inspectors made us remove it completely,as blacktop can leach oil/tar into the creek. Check the regulations before trying that. I know there are millions of miles of blacktop,and it's not a problem,but some places it's not allowed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have used a few small ramps that had a heavy steel grate put down and back-filled with pea gravel.. the grating held the gravel in place and prevented it from eroding. Would not work very well where there is ice.

Many of the ramps in Door County had (may still have) a removable heavy steel grate (smaller spacing on the grating) that was put in the water after ice-out, and pulled in early December prior to the ice by the local communities. they used a front end loader a bunch of chains and a crew of 3.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I can see that wave erosion is the thing you need to watch for, therefore I would suggest a terraced approach if you can swing it.
lets say that you combine either a heavy timber or concrete beam placed lets say 1.5 feet apart and using nothing less than 3/4 inch crush as a filler for ease on the feet and traction??

Just thinking out loud

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Years ago I worked for a construction crew,in Wisconsin,we used blacktop as a filler along a very small creek. The inspectors made us remove it completely,as blacktop can leach oil/tar into the creek. Check the regulations before trying that. I know there are millions of miles of blacktop,and it's not a problem,but some places it's not allowed.

When I first moved here, we figured it would be a problem, but after checking with our local DEQ as well as other agencies involved, found out they said it was fine, they worry more about the 2 stroke boat motors than they do from the small amount of oil that can leach from the asphalt.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah the millings aren't allowed here. Too many risidual oils.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Concrete Erosion Mats which are similar to small concrete stones poured on a chain link fence which will roll up for transportation. Carry it to your location and unroll it into the water. Problem solved. See Below Link

http://www.flexamat.com/