Pressure Washer Pump

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have a Comet ZWD 4040 pump and I want to change out the oil seals. Getting water in the crankcase. I pulled the manifold, piston and I can see the seals in the crankcase. I just don't know how to get them out. To me, if I could get the piston guide out I could tap out the seals. But it appears I need to remove the wrist pins from the connecting rods. I can't see how to gain access to those pins. I took the crankcase cover off, but still can't access the pins. All the vids I've seen stop short of changing the oil seals. Go figure..... Any ideas?

Thanks,
WIMUSKY

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I saw it, GA. If you go to page 9, figure E, that's the seal x3. They talk about pressing a new one in, but not getting the old one out. All I can figure is that the crankshaft has to be pressed out so the piston guides can be removed to access the seals. Although, they don't tell you that.... The little I use it, I'm not going to start pressing out that shaft..... I'll just change oil periodically......... And before winter..... Unless I'm not reading it right? Can the seals be removed w/o removing the crankshaft? I may have missed something......

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yes #26 My pump looks just like the one on page 9. Look at figure F. Same as mine. The 13mm just takes the nut off the end of the shaft piston. Then is a small washer, the plunger, another washer and then the dreaded oil seal which goes in first and comes out last. With the manifold off, the pistons stick out like they do in the pic. Everything comes out easy except the oil seal. That presses into the crankcase. I was thing about turning it over a few times moving the pistons and maybe loosening the seals. Or, get a couple of long thin screws and see if I can screw them into the seal and use a couple needle nose to pull them out. The seal is all rubber....