Cell phone bombarded.....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...with a variety of calls from a variety of area codes. I am getting this multiple times a day, day or night. My carrier is Verizon but they had no answer to my question. The phone may ring once or twice, sometimes more before it quits. It never goes to voice mail.. If I do not recognize the area code. I never answer it. Today I got 4 of them. This is getting to be total harassment and I cannot change my number because it is a business number..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are a couple of apps available, that will screen calls for you, just look for call blocking for the particular operating system you have on your phone. I wish I only got 4 robo calls a day, between a land line, 2 magic jack lines and a cell phone we average in the dozens a day.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Ni kidding! I'm getting sick of receiving calls from Jennifer (or Karen or Chris or whatever) from "Cardmember Services" who want to talk about my (nonexistent) account with their credit card company. Do not call registry is worthless....

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
With Sprint/Nextel, I can log onto my account and type in numbers I want to block through the website. I think you can block calls with no ID too.

There's also a unit you can buy for home/office phones that "zap" sales calls or preprogrammed numbers.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I don't know when it changed, but one of the updates to my Android smartphone included call blocking. So as long as the call is still in the log/history, I can block it, not just while the phone is ringing. Use it fairly often.........

In the new era of cellphones, area codes aren't necessarily enough info to decline a call, but I sometimes do. I live in WV, but still use a 702 area code cell # (Las Vegas). Added a free google VOIP # to it so I can also call from a 304 area code# from the same cellphone.

When the Admiral and I first added our landline # to the national do not call list, seemed to spike the # of calls we were getting...... A few years later when they made a separate cellphone do not call list, another spike in calls...........

BTW: A business class professor of mine in 1984 predicted that in our lifetimes, people would begin to be assigned 2 numbers that would follow them where ever in the world they went, and wouldn't change for their entire life:

a Social Security #

and

a personal cell#

Since cellphones were a $3K 2lb 'brick w/ limited range/talk time, we thought it unlikely.... Not to far off the mark now.

Boom, I too like the OEM hands free phone in our newish Kia.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
With Verizon, I get to block 10 different numbers for free; after that, it costs. There are just too many different numbers generating these calls. The folks who do this are smart enough to change numbers after a while. Trying to keep up with them by blocking is a losing proposition, I'm afraid.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
After they call I just add it to my spam contact so it goes straight to voice mail.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
With Verizon, I get to block 10 different numbers for free; after that, it costs. There are just too many different numbers generating these calls. The folks who do this are smart enough to change numbers after a while. Trying to keep up with them by blocking is a losing proposition, I'm afraid.

Is that for a home phone or cell phone?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I have a contact that I named no answer. I set it to not receive calls from the contact on my phone options for that contact. Any time I get one of those calls I add the number to that contact.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a contact that I named no answer. I set it to not receive calls from the contact on my phone options for that contact. Any time I get one of those calls I add the number to that contact.

I'd be adding numbers all day long. I get as many as four or five calls a day, all from different numbers and area codes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if you all read the story in the news yesterday. Seems a person was bombarded with calls from a place called Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC that was calling this person over and over and over demanding she pay her $1000 over due bill. Problem was she didn't even have a loan or account with the place demanding she pay. So after she had enough she sued them in court and won $83 million dollars from the Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC... See good news is there for everybody to read... We get calls from that same LLC as well and it goes to voice messaging. We haven't had a credit card or loan account for a few decades now, we are totally debt free and loving it too! So I know they are phishing for someone to pay...