Defaulting to Windows XPS Document Writer?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I just helped my Sister in Law set up a wireless Canon printer for her laptop. It uses Win 7. The set up was successful and the Canon is clearly set as the Default Printer. However, every time she selects 'print', whether its to print an email or a selection from a website, the print box is always defaulted to the XPS Document Printer.

For comparison, I opened up NotePad and hit print. The print box opened defaulted to the Canon Printer, as it should.

What is going on? It is a PITA to have to change the printer everytime you want to print, especially when you never even use the XPS Document Printer. Every computer that I have defaults to the selected default printer, no matter what or where you are trying to print from.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Does the Canon remain the default after a reboot?

You could delete the XPS driver and see what happens when you reset the default printer.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Does the Canon remain the default after a reboot?

You could delete the XPS driver and see what happens when you reset the default printer.

Ya know, I do not think that I rebooted after I installed the Canon. Up till then, the XPS printer was the only printer loaded. I will try a reboot and if that doesn't work I will delete the XPS as a device. I have never used that anyway so I do not think it would be missed.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Go to printers and select the canon as the default printer and then disable the XPS document writer. If you open up my computer from the start button, then right click on the canon, then choose set as default.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-printer#1TC=windows-7

Yeah, MT, the Canon is already declared the default printer. It displays the big check mark over its icon. The thing I have not tried yet is to disable the XPS printer. Shouldn't really have to do that though. I have a toshiba laptop identical to my Sister in Law's. I have two different wireless printers set up on it, with one declared as default. No matter where I open the print box from the defaulted printer always shows up as the selected printer.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes we have to do things that we should not have to when dealing with Windows, or any other OS, disabling is the easiest way to stop it defaulting in certain programs, Microsoft is just as obnoxious with XPS as Adobe is with Acrobat.

Just disable it.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/disable-xps-document-writer-49624.html

I'll practice on my Toshiba. I had to send the SIL's laptop out for repair. A screw fell out that held the left hinge in place and the threaded hole was stripped.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I disabled XPS in add or delete windows features in the uninstall program window. The canon printer now defaults in every area.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use thread locker that is made for RC helicopter screws, works great on those small screws

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'll practice on my Toshiba. I had to send the SIL's laptop out for repair. A screw fell out that held the left hinge in place and the threaded hole was stripped.

What am I missing here, dolluper? I don't see anything about screws in this thread??

You forgot what you wrote. :eek: LOL It happens to all of us, Boom.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What am I missing here, dolluper? I don't see anything about screws in this thread??

Post number 7 Boom,

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Post number 7 Boom,

Oh, that! JB Weld, which has often been my friend, would not have helped that situation. The little case screw that I thought was stripped was a symptom of a larger problem. Where the top/monitor hinge anchored in the bottom half of the case, the hinge anchors just ripped apart. Result? A new bottom laptop case. It was $42.00 and improved.

Instead of the two hole hinge tabs screwing in to plastic, they added a metal plate that spread the load over a much broader area. In the picture you can see the larger whitish metal plate that the top hinge screws to. Previous the two hinge screws were anchored directly to the cast imetal inserts in the bottom of the case. Now the load is spread over double the area. I was hard to believe how much effort it took to move those spring tensioned hinges when the were float free from the case. It was easy to see how opening the top of the laptop from the side/corners would have overstressed those joints.