Worth the price of a new car!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A month ago the Mrs bought (leased) herself a new Lexus RX350. I have driven it a couple of times and it is very nice. Today, on the way back from Mother's day lunch, I hear a noise over the car speakers. She said, oh, that is my my phone. (it was in her purse on the back floorboard). She reached over and hit the answer button on the steering wheel and we had perfectly normal conversation with her sister. This was way cool. It makes my 2006 Explore Limited feel like a real antique. I had to quell the urge to trade up.

southkogs

Staff member
You can purchase a stereo for your 2006 Explorer that will bluetooth to your smart phone ... lots cheaper than a new Lexus :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have one of those radios in my 2003 Explorer, I can watch DVD's as well as answer my phone and it is all remote controlled.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have one of those radios in my 2003 Explorer, I can watch DVD's as well as answer my phone and it is all remote controlled.

I assume you mean an aftermarket unit? The setup in the Lexus was so natural it was like speaking to someone sitting next to you. It even muted the radio that was playing. Suuuuulick!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, yes, mine is an aftermarket, but it has the interfaces to incorporate with my factory steering wheel controls. Works as well as the system on my sister in laws BMV SUV, so you don't need to spend thousands on a new car, you can set it up in your Explorer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Get a bluetooth speaker that attaches to your visor. Way cheaper!

thumpar

Admiral
I put a $149 Alpine in my Yukon that does that. It will play my itunes or any other bluetooth audio I want.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Get a bluetooth speaker that attaches to your visor. Way cheaper!

Got any links, Bruce? I could use one of those in my E150 service van, as well. How is it that you answer incoming calls or trigger it for outgoing calls? Also do you need to leave your smartphone on bluetooth enabled all of the time? Does that use more battery if you do that?

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes you leave the Bluetooth turned on. It doesn't use any more battery power. The Admirals Toyota has a similar feature. The phone justvswitches itself back and forth as both the phone and car "recognize" each other. She also has the wifi left on. That way, when in the house, and somebody calls, she doesn't use up any minutes on her cell plan.

All of this is done seamlessly. Once the phone and Bluetooth and wifi are set up you shouldn't have to do anything. All these systems interact without you noticing anything is really happening.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I believe a lot of new cars have that feature, no matter who the manuf.. Seems like they all are starting to come with backup cameras, voice activation, USB ports etc too......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I believe a lot of new cars have that feature, no matter who the manuf.. Seems like they all are starting to come with backup cameras, voice activation, USB ports etc too......

Yeah, WIMUSKY, they do. I was just bragging about Mrs B's new car! ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, WIMUSKY, they do. I was just bragging about Mrs B's new car! ;)

I know. It's amazing what they're doing with cars these days. Making us think we need all those gadgets. Trouble is, find a car w/o them all......
Mrs. Musky's new Chrysler(it's not a Lexus tho) has all those features........:car:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wonder how long the battery lasts between charges? Also I am sure that you cannot just 'hook' it up to any old radio. I am sure my factory '97 am/fm cassette would not have the capability and I'll have to check my '06 Explorer factory am/fm/cd system.

Unless it was upgraded to a newer Ford radio model, it won't have the blue tooth function, if I remember right, they just started offering that feature a couple of years ago for the Explorer and Mercury models. there are aftermarket kits to add it to select radio models.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i1918_ford-bluetooth.html

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wonder how long the battery lasts between charges? Also I am sure that you cannot just 'hook' it up to any old radio. I am sure my factory '97 am/fm cassette would not have the capability and I'll have to check my '06 Explorer factory am/fm/cd system.

If this is the one my GF has, it has its own speaker. She turns it on/off when she is in the car. Charge lasts over a week. Recharge with USB cord.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Hey pops long time no see GI, Yes tech in cars has been leap frogging in the past few years to the point the ...only....reason why they cant drive them selves is the limitation's of gps. You can get one of these little darling's and have almost the same capability as the lexus about 80% They simply plug into the existing wiring and your off to the race's, i put one in my daughter's car a yr ago and it works without a flaw...cheap enough to you could even throw one into that old barge of your's.....hand's free on the water.

http://www.abt.com/product/83655/Pio...paign=FHX720BT

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...r-stereos.html they have the wiring kit

Ohh and MIXTRAX DJ Style Light Shows
? Full iOS Compatibility ...for those boring summer night's....

Last edited:

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Sierra Denali 2500hd with all the bells and whistles. When I get a call it turns down the ac fan and mutes the radio and plays the call...now if I could just get it to talk to the person for me, I would be all set...:eek: