Where can you get a good deal on a small gear puller?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I'm changing the belt on my Craftsman self-propelled lawn mower. In order to get the belt guard off, I need to remove the blade adapter that holds the blade on the motor shaft. Of course, after 13 years, it's good and stuck. I've been soaking it with PB & tap-tapping and heating and prying away, but finally concluded I need a gear puller to get it off.

I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, as I will probably hardly ever use it again. On the other hand, I don't want some Chinese junk that will bend or break when I put a little pressure on it (speaking from experience with other tools).

Brand names to recommend? From the looking I've done so far, looks like just about everything I can find is made in China....Which wouldn't be a deal-breaker if it did the job.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I got a 3 jaw type from Harbor Freight to pull my steering wheel hub. $20.00 Put a LOT of force on the Chinese Junk and it held up OK. The other type is $40. I think they'd prolly work but what does an Old Dumb Okie Know!:eek::D;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks, Wood, I just wanted to put some feelers out before I spring for something! I have had some HF good luck, maybe I should underline that, luck, in the past. :D

rogerwa

Commander
You may be able to get a Free rental at the auto parts store.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have some cheap ones,,mostly getting bent/wore out. I'm mean to them. But they are 20 years old. The best trick for keeping them usable is lube the threads every time you use them. Then a quick wipe down when done so the toolbox don't get messy. Have fun!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
O'Reily and Autozone both have free rentals on these pullers, I have several of the HF pullers and never had a problem, but now a days I just go grab one for free.

bigdee

Commander
I use an angle grinder to cut the off, then go to Lowes and buy a new blade adapter for less than $10. Use anti-seize when you re-install.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with bigdee. I have never had a blade adapter come off in 1 piece since they are powdered sintered metal. cut it off, buy a new one. you only need to score it, hit it with a bit of the freeze it spray, then tap it with a chisel.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the ideas...The blade adapter I have is old enough that it's made of steel, so I'm going to go the route of trying to pull it. It's 3 hours away right now at the lake, so next time I get there, I'll work on it and let you know how it went.