Computer, build or buy?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
In need of a new computer and don't know which way to go. The one I'm using now is about 4 years old and is experiencing some serious issues. Random freezes, BSOD, after restarts at times the HD starts going crazy, almost like it's running a scan or a defrag.

Not looking for or needing a high end one or a gamer. Basics, internet, email, videos, music, pictures, iboats!

Right now I'm running a LGA775 Duo Core 7900 cpu, 4 gigs DDR2 800 memory with a GT 7300 video card on Win7. When it will runs it does everything I need fairly quickly.

So looking for suggestions. I haven't built one since moving to this one and Win7. I see hardware has really changed with CPU's that now have GPU's built in which would be fine as again I don't play computer games.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
If you want a basic reliable system buy. If you want or need something custom build. Building is not cheaper than buying. (remember the old story about they guy back in the 60's who decided to build his own VW. He bought all the parts and put it together. It cost $6000.00 A new one at the time was around $1800.00) But before you do that take your computer to a computer service and have them check it out. It could be something simple that needs replacing. I once had a computer doing what it sounds like yours is doing and it just need a new power supply. My son in law builds his own computers and he has repaired many others. Usually it is som part that is going bad. Just replace the part and save a lot of bucks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
For a basic computer, check the best buy Sunday ads and buy the least expensive box they have, I have built my own for 20 years now and if I need one for just dinking around, I will buy a pre built, instead of taking the time to build one and pay for the software.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I actually built this one and many more previously. It's already been thru the power supply, Memory and video card. This has been only the 2nd intel system that I've every built and didn't like it from day one. Previous system was a socket 939 AMD single core that had slower memory and slower video yet was much faster than this thing has ever been.

Still even today I can build a faster computer for the same money as buying an HP or Lenovo or Dell.

Though if buying a low end one I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220837

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
MT, the software cost is the only thing holding me back from building one right now.
I'm going to PM you if you don't mind.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Reinstall the OS. That's probably the only thing it needs.

I bet your computer is older than 4 years.

If you are going to buy new, check here:
http://www.techbargains.com/

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Reinstall the OS. That's probably the only thing it needs.

I bet your computer is older than 4 years.

If you are going to buy new, check here:
http://www.techbargains.com/

Do a clean install or a repair install? Yes it is the MB is a older P4M900-M7. Originally built with XP then upgrades to Win7. Not an upgrade version of Win7. And I was mistaken in my earlier post. the CPU is an E7400 not a 7900.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
MT, the software cost is the only thing holding me back from building one right now.
I'm going to PM you if you don't mind.

I got it and I am not ignoring your questions, in fact I run a couple of Gigabyte LGA775 boards and have never had any problems with them. I am just looking at some stuff, I buy all my MB off ebay and normally get a better buy on them.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I were in need of a non gaming computer I would by a surface pro 3, and a docking station and Mabey have a network hard drive for media stuff...:eek:

I have one I use as a second laptop for work and it's awesome...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I love the looks and the feel of the Surface, but they are just to darn expensive.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If I were in need of a non gaming computer I would by a surface pro 3, and a docking station and Mabey have a network hard drive for media stuff...:eek:

I have one I use as a second laptop for work and it's awesome...

Can you get one for under $400.00?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do a clean install or a repair install? Yes it is the MB is a older P4M900-M7. Originally built with XP then upgrades to Win7. Not an upgrade version of Win7. And I was mistaken in my earlier post. the CPU is an E7400 not a 7900.

A totally clean install.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm with Bruce - I'd bomb it and start from the bottom up first.

As an alternative option: a Mac Mini comes in about $500 if you've got your own monitor and keyboard. Pretty fast boxes, OS upgrades are free to cheap. Productivity software is pretty inexpensive. One of my girls just bought a refurbed MacBook pro with an SSD for about $600. The machines are a little more expensive on the front end, but the Admiral's laptop is nearly 10 years old and still hanging tough.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Good morning folk! OK, I've got a few extra HD sitting around so I'll wipe one and give a fresh install a try. I haven't had to one of those in a long time, probably 5 years or so, back in the old XP days. I see the weather forecast for later in the week is supposed to be rainy so that would be a good rainy day project.

How has MS been with reactivation on Win7 these days?

rogerwa

Commander
If you want to do something new, check out the Intel NUC series. Install an Msata drive in this for the OS and programs and hang a 1tb usb drive off the back for data. These will have your choice of i3, i5, celeron processors with embedded graphics. it boots super fast. Booting time is less than the post test.

You can get the i3 version with memory for $279. You would have to add the Msata drive. A 250gb would run around $150.

I have one that I am using as a set top box running XBMC and you would never know its there.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
How has MS been with reactivation on Win7 these days?

Not bad, but it will depend on how many times the particular copy has been activated in the past, at worst you will have to call them for a manual activation after telling them why you are activating again(The standard answer is hardware failure)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Been a long time since I've have to reactivate an OS. This copy has never been reactivated so far.

So day while looking for a drive to wipe for a reinstall I happened to find a previous drive that I had in this system. It was removed in working order with no issues, just too small and about 80% full So I cloned it onto a larger drive. This old drive is a Sata and the one I'm using now is an IDE. Well I tried to put the sata drive back in and it would freeze up before even loading windows all the way. So I pulled that back out and when I tried to start the IDE drive I received a no system disk found. Got that fixed and while I was doing that I found that the fan on the video card was actually now falling off the heat sink. Removed the card and removed the fan and it's seems to be running stable again! Watched about 1.5 hrs of videos on youtube in full screen and not a single crash. This morning I could hardly keep it running! So I might have to find a new card or a new fan so I don't overheat this one.