Possible move to Florida??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have been offered a job in the southern part of Florida, I can could live anywhere south of Orlando.

While I have spent time in the state it's not the same as living there. So what are some of the pros and cons of the region.

Thanks.

southkogs

Staff member
Fresh Oranges and Alligator?

Congrats on the opportunity.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
We own a condo in Stuart and just love that area. Lots of places to go by boat. Downside, of course, is that the summers are just brutal (at least for me). By August, the only difference between noon and midnight is the amount of sunlight. The temperature stays the same.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm in Bradenton, however work in Largo (St Pete area). Boating is great. Im originally from the midwest and dealt with snow for too long. give me the 95 degree days and Em happy. More fishing on the ocean side of the state, better beaches and warmer water on the gulf side

Snowbird season makes driving interesting (all the worst drivers migrate south).

what kind of hobbies are you into?

If you decide to move close to the Bradenton/Sarasota area or just want information on the area, let me know. The Admiral is a realtor.

Pros -
you don't shovel sunshine
boating year round
great beaches
fishing year round
golfing year round
water front bar and grills
you don't need to mow grass from November thru March
abundance of fruits and veggies at local farmers markets

Cons -
shifting inter-coastal passages
rainy season is wet
grass grows so fast April thru October you cut twice a week
you need to pressure wash you sidewalk and driveway once a year
not much for elevation changes
Traffic in Tampa and Miami sucks
cost of dairy products is higher (governed by distance from Lacross Wisconsin - don't know why, however it is)

Push-
Mosquitoes here are like the ones in the Michigan UP (miniature dive bombers)
Humidity is same as great lakes area
Ethanol in the fuel
HOA's

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
My only real passion is fishing, I do it 5 days a week during certain times of the year. I currently live on the water and have most of my life.

Sarasota is one area I was looking at, not interested in the Orlando or Miami scene. The last few years we've vacationed in the Keys and Sanibel island, but haven't explored the Sarasota area to see what it's like.

When I was the Marine market manager for a different company I was frequently at many of the boat builders in the state, mostly Sea Ray, which had 3 plants on the Atlantic side.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Been going to Florida a couple or more times a year for over forty years. Lived in Tampa for 2 years, and now have two kids and 4 grandkids in south Florida.
As JoLin said the summers are brutal, the spring and fall are perfect, and winter is winter. Not like up here, but you will use a winter coat the second year.
Two major weather systems in Florida I know of, The Gulf and the Caribbean, in Tampa it was the Gulf and south Florida is all Caribbean.
The interior of Florida around Orlando and south is just plan nasty in the summer, so try and get as close to the gulf or Atlantic as you can afford.

If your looking at Sarasota area, then checkout:

Burntstore Marina in Punta Gorda, FL
Gated, HOA takes care of everything outside including anything you plant around your home.(no weeding if you don't want to) That's not common in Florida.
Price is reasonable for a HOA (under 200), the home prices are starting to get up there, but again reasonable.

SIL parents have lived there for 4-5 years. They retired there so he could fish everyday and he does fish when the weather permits, mostly fresh, but salt is just as close.

Up and coming area that's growing like crazy right now. We spent the night there earlier this month and it's changed a ton over just the last year.

Farther south, but might work for you.
huts

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm in Bradenton, however work in Largo (St Pete area). Boating is great. Im originally from the midwest and dealt with snow for too long. give me the 95 degree days and Em happy. More fishing on the ocean side of the state, better beaches and warmer water on the gulf side

Snowbird season makes driving interesting (all the worst drivers migrate south).

what kind of hobbies are you into?

If you decide to move close to the Bradenton/Sarasota area or just want information on the area, let me know. The Admiral is a realtor.

Pros -
you don't shovel sunshine
boating year round
great beaches
fishing year round
golfing year round
water front bar and grills
you don't need to mow grass from November thru March
abundance of fruits and veggies at local farmers markets

Cons -
shifting inter-coastal passages
rainy season is wet
grass grows so fast April thru October you cut twice a week
you need to pressure wash you sidewalk and driveway once a year
not much for elevation changes
Traffic in Tampa and Miami sucks
cost of dairy products is higher (governed by distance from Lacross Wisconsin - don't know why, however it is)

Push-
Mosquitoes here are like the ones in the Michigan UP (miniature dive bombers)
Humidity is same as great lakes area
Ethanol in the fuel
HOA's

CON - Hurricanes.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
due to the shallow waters of the gulf and the bay, hurricanes generally miss the area and go north or south here.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No, Moved down from Manitowoc/Green Bay area of Wisconsin. However used to spend every other weekend fishing the Menominee River and camping in the UP.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sorta the same area, per say. Transition wasn't difficult from the WI climate to Florida?

tpenfield

Staff member
Hot
Hurricances
Lower on the food chain

Plenty of Golf courses
Lots of new construction
No snow

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
My SIL moved from southern FL to Green Bay, didn't even own a coat when she moved there.

Her kids had never seen snow and thought it was great. That got old quick and after about 5 years moved to Seattle.

I spent a great deal of time at Carver in Pulaski, and also at Cruisers.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
According to a recent This Old House episode, lots of lightning.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Sorta the same area, per say. Transition wasn't difficult from the WI climate to Florida?

I recieved the first florida job offer when it was 30 below. however in the summer, the humidity is the same, the peak temperatures in summer are actually lower than half of peak temperatures in WI, and there is no snow.

did I mention year round boating

took about 30 seconds to adjust.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
My SIL moved from southern FL to Green Bay, didn't even own a coat when she moved there.

Her kids had never seen snow and thought it was great. That got old quick and after about 5 years moved to Seattle.

I spent a great deal of time at Carver in Pulaski, and also at Cruisers.

so, will you be working with Intrepid, Chris Craft, Power Play, Lazzara, etc. when you are down here?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Not just marine accounts, but they make up a big percentage of the fiberglass market in FL

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I recieved the first florida job offer when it was 30 below. however in the summer, the humidity is the same, the peak temperatures in summer are actually lower than half of peak temperatures in WI, and there is no snow.

did I mention year round boating

took about 30 seconds to adjust.

:thumb: