How to Remove a Briggs and Stratton Fuel Cut Off Valve Assembly??

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I'm rehabbing a B&S gas engine powered generator. The motor is a 10 HP B&S with a plastic fuel tank mounted above the entire assembly. The tank has a couple of gallons of what once (long, long ago) may have been gasoline inside. Outlet is on the bottom of the tank, through a cut off valve.

The cut off valve must be clogged, because the stuff in the tank won't drain through it. The only way to get it out is to remove the valve (won't dump out from the inlet because of the tank geometry). I'm thinking I should replace it in any event.

So, my problem. The cut off valve appears to have what's called a grommet mounting. I found You Tube video on removal of a cut off valve with a threaded base. But, no threads on mine. How do I remove this type of valve?

Photo attached.

Valve1.JPG

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd get a new valve and grommet,as your grommet looks cracked anyway. Take the motor serial numbers to a local repair shop,get the new parts. Then pull the old grommet,and valve out. Some do have a threaded nut inside the tank,to get at it you use a 1/4" drive deep socket and swivel with an extension. If not cut the old one out being carefull not to cut the tank. A dab of light grease or Vaseline the new one should slip right In.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
OK, seems like it should just (w/maybe a little persuasion) pop out. I'm pretty sure there's no nut inside, since the only access would be via the filler, and that is offset from the valve by about 18".

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Ahh. Success. Squirted on some WD-40 and the valve first and then the grommet popped right out. There's a little filter inside the grommet - I'm guessing that's pretty well clogged/shot. Stuff that drained out looked like mainly water.

Next step: clean the inside of the tank. I've looked at some of the posts on here and see a variety of ways to do it. I'm thinking that with the grommet out I could just stick the wand of my pressure washer in the inlet and spray around the inside, then drain the water out and rinse with gas or diesel fuel. Any thoughts?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Throw some ISO propyl in it,along with a few small nuts,or ball bearings. Plug the holes,shake the be-geesus out of it,dump it,rinse it let dry. Works for me.