A FireFox anomaly!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Recently, maybe after an update, FireFox started to do an irritating thing. When I left click on a link in a website, it either flips the page I am on or opens a new page, either minus the menu bar, minus a right side scroll bar AND minus the URL address bar, so if the page is bigger than the screen you cannot scroll down to expose the whole page. Sometimes video screens will be split in the middle and you cannot center it..

If I right click on the link and choose 'open in new window' everything opens as it should. I have to add that I do not use tabs so I have that de-selected in Tools. What could be going on, this is new.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Do you also have the flash plugin installed, if you do, then update it. This happened a few updates back and it is hard as hell to track down the exact reason.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Do you also have the flash plugin installed, if you do, then update it. This happened a few updates back and it is hard as hell to track down the exact reason.

I don't know, MT. Flash/Shockwave is as up to date as they notify me. I currently have Shockwave ver 16.0.0.0.305

bigdee

Commander
Try sea monkey instead of FF. It is a stream lined version of FF that is faster.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Try sea monkey instead of FF. It is a stream lined version of FF that is faster.

What is the deal with Sea Monkey? It looks like a Mozilla product. Why would they have two browsers?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What is the deal with Sea Monkey? It looks like a Mozilla product. Why would they have two browsers?

There are several projects around based on the Firefox/Netscape browser, another one that I use is called Palemoon, Mozilla and user groups are always coming up with new projects based on the Mozilla browsers.

bigdee

Commander

Sea Monkey is open source software which means the general public can access the computer program to make modifications from the original design or fix bugs. Sounds scary but but you have thousands overlooking the project so nothing bad is likely to get through. Compare that to proprietary software where only a room full of developers are in control of security threats.