Has anyone used this product?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
It is a holder for cell phones that clamps on to your air vent. I have seen the ads on TV and it looks decent. I have looked in Verizon stores and in mall kiosks and all that anyone seems to carry are suction cup type holders. As you well know, they suck, and not in the way they were intended.

https://www.clevergripsale.com/?mid=6160914

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've seen an airvent mounted 'gripper' style cell holder in 2 different people's cars this week. Neither had a phone in it....

Both pulled up, rolled down their window and we talked for a couple minutes. Perhaps they don't use them for short trips or around town when they won't be behind the wheel for more then 15-20min.....

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If you are looking for a hands free option, remember the volume is a bit low for a running vehicle, there are many options that are better for hands free use.
Garmins and other assorted GPS have a blue tooth to cell phone option along with some stand alone products.
And there is always the ear bud style.

But if your looking for a dock just to hold your phone, why not give it a try.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Pretty much just looking for a convenient docking station for the phone. One that I can grab up if it rings and is in plain view if I need to use the map function. When I am out and about I spend a lot of time in the vehicle and trying to get my phone out of its belt holster, with the seatbelt in the way, is a real PITA.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I though you were required to use hands free in state of Washington.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the ones that clip in the vents eventually snap off the vent.

we have a suction cup one on the wife's car, it hasnt let go in 2 years. the key is to clean the window and clean the suction cup. we then used a bit of the window cleaner to lubricate the suction cup

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Two thing I see that could make this questionable. First is like Scott alluded too. Watch out for broke air vents. Those type clamp on attachments can and do break the air vents. especially on older vehicles. And the second thing is that actually blocks the air flow out of any vent they are attached too. So whether it be the heater in the colder seasons to air conditioning during those hot days, you will not get a good air flow from that vent. I would rather have the air flow instead of a phone. But that is just me...

southkogs

Staff member
I've got the suction cup type too, and it's given me no problems at all. My vents won't take that kind of clip, so I've never tried one. THIS is the other option I would go for if it were me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I draw the line at texting but otherwise.....
$124 ticket if they catch you in WA

In CA it's much higher. I always have a hands free device in my car. I use the earpiece but he ones that clip to your visor are really good too.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My phone is not even turned on when I am in the car.. I didn't need it before, I don't need it now.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
My phone is not even turned on when I am in the car.. I didn't need it before, I don't need it now.

I became dependent on cell phones in the early 90's when I had to leave the office. I am no less dependent today even though the volume of calls have become lower, plus I still use the phone occasionally for its GPS function and it is nice to have it prominentely displayed in front of me. I used to use a TomTom GPS. It had a suction cup mount. No matter what I tried it would not stay affixed to the windshield. In addition to that, the windshield was too far away to reach.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use a Garmin Nuvi GPS, that uses a suction cup mount, on a plastic disc affixed to my dash, I have never had it come loose and it is easy to reach. With the communist state of affairs in WA and OR, I don't want to get a ticket when I visit Dad, so I just leave the phone off and it dings me if I get a call, so I can pull over and call whoever back.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a Garmin Nuvi. I have no idea where I put. Google maps is so much better since it has traffic.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a Garmin Nuvi. I have no idea where I put. Google maps is so much better since it has traffic.

Where I live and run around most of the time Bruce, Traffic is the least of my worries, where I live, rush hour is more than 4 cars at a stop light!

:)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I washappily suprised on one the clips into my CD slot. I use it for when im using for gps. That and a blue parrot headset and im good to go. I drive 30-40k mikes per year.

dwco5051

Commander
Where I live and run around most of the time Bruce, Traffic is the least of my worries, where I live, rush hour is more than 4 cars at a stop light!

:)
What is a stoplight? My property goes up and over the ridge with about 5 acres in the adjoining township. Neither of these townships have any traffic lights in them or does the next township I pass through going to the lake. Since we have a large Amish population the only traffic problems may occur on a Sunday afternoon when you get behind 3 buggies returning to their homes after church.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What is a stoplight? My property goes up and over the ridge with about 5 acres in the adjoining township. Neither of these townships have any traffic lights in them or does the next township I pass through going to the lake. Since we have a large Amish population the only traffic problems may occur on a Sunday afternoon when you get behind 3 buggies returning to their homes after church.

:peace:

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've looked at those vent-clip holders, but worry that on the occasions where I'm pushing heat through the vent, I might receive a call. I don't believe it would be very good for the phone to be operated at 110 degrees, or whatever the heater produces.