Win 8.1 problem

bassman284

Commander
I bought a new desktop last month with Win 8.1 on it. I have a Gear Head wireless mouse I want to use. I downloaded the driver from Gear Head and ran the installation but the driver doesn't show up in the Control Panel. I can't even locate it on the hard drive. It appears that when I try to instal the Gear Head driver, Windows re-installs the HID-compliant driver and essentially ignores the Gear Head driver. I need the GH driver because I want to disable a side button that annoys me.

Before I spend another afternoon on hold waiting for tech support to pick up, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has an answer. Thanks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you live close to my Mother-in-law, perhaps we can get you guys together and solve these problems together, I have 4 people right now that are trying to figure out problems with Win 8.1, which is why have have been telling everyone to download classic start menu!

southkogs

Staff member
May try two things (and I'm no expert with Windows 8 at all) : 1) double check the driver version and compatibility. Make sure you've got one that says it'll work for Winders 8.1.

And 2) try installing the drive in compatibility mode. I've only worked with 8 a couple times, but I had to do that for a driver on a friends box once.

bassman284

Commander
I'll try the classic start menu. I also have a problem with it refusing to recognize my printer although I've just about given up on that. For both the mouse and the printer I downloaded drivers that they claim are for Win 8.1. Thanks guys.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
My 14 yr old granddaughter got all my 8.1 problems for Christmas along w/ the laptop it came on. I got another laptop w/ 7. Happy days are here again,LOL!! In fact we're both happy!!
Mike

82rude

Rear Admiral
My 14 yr old granddaughter got all my 8.1 problems for Christmas along w/ the laptop it came on. I got another laptop w/ 7. Happy days are here again,LOL!! In fact we're both happy!!
Mike

bingo !the solution is as easy as a kid .

ezbtr

Commander
why Im staying w/ w7 for now even though my new desktop has 8.1 cds(came w/ both)

thumpar

Admiral
I still only sell windows 7 computers to my customers. One note on the drive: with most you need to make sure you get the 32 bit and 64 bit drives specifically.