WE can rebuild it, we have the enthusiasm, sorta!!

NYBo

Admiral
Hey, it just makes it easier to search when spelled correctly!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know, most of my searches I spell wrong and still find what I am looking for, thanks to google, which by the way comes up spelled wrong in my browser! LOL

:lol:

woosterken

Lieutenant
there is a show on discovery called flipping rvs ,take a look at it and contact them.

ken

NYBo

Admiral
I don't know, most of my searches I spell wrong and still find what I am looking for, thanks to google, which by the way comes up spelled wrong in my browser! LOL

:lol:

I Googled "luan" once and now some woman named Luanne is filling my email with spam!:faint2:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Since I retired from the Army in '06 I have helped a friend who owns a pepper spray company and worked with another friend that owns a company that manufactures campers and trailers, so I have ended up working on a lot of RV's. we have always just entered it as Luan on our work orders.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I picked up the plywood, and will do a prime and paint on the edges and bottom then scuff the top before I do the lino.
The piece at the rear is a 1/3 of a sheet with round corners, and since I have no patience as a carpenter I better wait till my neighbour can come over and cut it properly (I know I will just screw up the cut and the saw will go flying GRRR flippen wood!!)

Now the back corner is where the shower/tub goes in and it is a 2 piece and in between the ribs of the wall there was yellow fiber glass insulation and I would like to use spray foam as it can be formed perfectly in the concave shell of the corner, can you guys see any issues?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Many of the new trailers use spray in foam in many locations as opposed to the batting insulation. If you careful and don't over pack it with spray in, it should be fine. I would prefer a little more dense foam like we use for flotation in boats, but as long as the spray is not exposed to sunlight, it takes a long time for it to break down.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I just worry about condensation build up either between the insulation and aluminum skin or the tub/shower enclosure and the insulation-Does this area need to breath?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If the foam seals properly between the outer skin and the rest of the structure you should not have much trouble with sweating, also take into account the conditions you will be using it is, if you will be using after the frost starts and you have a heater running inside the trailer, you "Might" have a small amount of sweating. If it were me, I would do the foam and line the floor with sheet plastic between the foam and the floor, seal the plastic around the edges with aluminum ducting tape, just make sure the foam is spread evenly so it can fill the void completely.

By the way, does this trailer have an aluminum belly skin on it? I don't remember if you already said if it did or not?

My 5th wheel has a heavy fiber impregnated belly skin on it with insulation on under the floor and aluminum skin and I use it for elk hunting, with no condensation problems during Nov and Dec and believe me, sometimes it gets really cold, but rarely do we have high humidity to create a sweat problem.. I only time I have had any sweat problems is when we went to the coast a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Yup, a full rounded/shaped belly pan + no insulation in the floor.
So the underside of the floor breaths good, I just have to ensure I get the edges of the plywood well sealed.
In picture I think #3 this is a shot looking towards the front of the inside of the trailer (fridge in left hand corner) you can see where the wood rotted on the left hand side right in front of the wheel well, there must have been 3 gallons of fine sand and dirt built up from over the years of pulling this beast around.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would work hard figuring out how to seal that area a little better than the factory did, , I would probably use a 12 in wide thin foam back duct insulation down in that area to cut down on the intrusion somewhat, it is amazing how some of that good quality stuff holds up. I think I remember you said in live in CO? Are you going to be using this in the late fall/winter season?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
When I first bought the old beast it was -25c out and there was no way I was moving into this ice box. But when it moved up to 0c to -5 c I did, but no running water or toilet was a PITA (I would need to insulate around the holding tank and add a heating unit of some type.

"I think I remember you said in live in CO?" - What is live in CO???

As for the edges, maybe they make a thin version of ice and snow roofing material, and I can wrap it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
^^^^UMMM, nope. But close where I bought it was freaken cold in the winter and snowy.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
^^^^UMMM, nope. But close where I bought it was freaken cold in the winter and snowy.

Well the question is still pertinent, if it is going to be cold and snowy, then you "might" need to worry about sweating if you use it in winter. The use of the heater, is actually when I worry about the trailer sweating because it pulls so much moisture in while running.

By the way, a simple insulation wrap around the holding tank will keep it from freezing and as far as the black water, I don't even worry about it, the ammonia content of waste normally keeps it from freezing down to about 25 below zero. The soap residue in grey water keeps it from freezing. I have hunted down to about 25 below and never had a tank freeze on me.

Last edited: