Has anyone converted...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Light behind lenses, is light behind lenses. When looking at LED's I look at color temp, of course if I am going to put it in a tail light, I could really care less, as long as it is bright enough for someone behind me to see.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Light behind lenses, is light behind lenses. When looking at LED's I look at color temp, of course if I am going to put it in a tail light, I could really care less, as long as it is bright enough for someone behind me to see.
Exactly!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Off track gentlemen. OP asked about the requirement for a resistor to be used with a flasher unit. Here's the answer for THAT question. If it's an older 'non-electronic' flasher, then yes, it will require a resistor in parallel with the LED (not series) so the flasher unit 'sees' the correct load, or it will flash at the wrong rate.

To throw my hat in the ring of the 'off-track' discussion... I like LEDs, don't care where you're talking about putting them either. I have LED tail-light/indicators on the boat trailer, and I built my own stern light for the boat with a Cree LED and a 33ohm, 5W resistor. The main reason for that one was the standard housings always leak and very quickly corrode out the bulb ends and the contacts. I gutted the housing, placed the LED and resistor in the right place and filled the housing with epoxy up to the LED lens. It's an order of magnitude brighter, uses about 1/3 of the power and will not corrode, ever!

As already stated, they use significantly less power than incandescent or fluorescent, and that has multiple knock-on advantages.

Bottom line... If you like them, use them, if you don't like them, don't use them. But an endless debate on personal opinions will only end in tears...

Chris........

bigdee

Commander
OP asked about the requirement for a resistor to be used with a flasher unit. Here's the answer for THAT question. If it's an older 'non-electronic' flasher, then yes, it will require a resistor in parallel with the LED (not series) so the flasher unit 'sees' the correct load, or it will flash at the wrong rate.

AND that will negate any energy savings as the current draw will be the same as incandescent!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I know I would like to convert the boats interior lights to LED, they have the old 1156 or 1157?? (Bayonet fit with single element)
I would like the LED bulbs to fit into the OEM light fixtures if possible, so I need to do some home work.

(how about fluorescent 12VDC fixtures that don't cost an arm or leg and are reliable??)

Hey Robby. You can buy direct 1157/1156 replacements. Get the ones that are called "tower". More lights to reflect. They do cost a little more... I have a link on my other 'puter that's a good site for purchasing lights. I don't believe iboats sell towers. Also, you need to get colored bulbs. If it's tail lights you need red bulbs, running lights amber etc... You would think clear would be brighter, but it doesn't work that way.... Something the OP needs to keep in mind too.....

A lot, if not most, of the new vehicles have LEDs. At least for their front and rear running lights.....

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The reason new cars use LEDs is because they are cheaper and they can run less wire(less weight). Only one wire is required to operate a brake/running light because they just PWM the signal going to the bulb to create bright or dim.

Another reason is they can now make odd shaped light housings and be able to illuminate evenly where before they would need multiple bulbs.

There is a huge push by auto makers to reduce the weight of the car. That is why ethernet in the car is the next push. The company I work for makes test equipment for testing automotive ethernet.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
The reason new cars use LEDs is because they are cheaper and they can run less wire(less weight). Only one wire is required to operate a brake/running light because they just PWM the signal going to the bulb to create bright or dim.

Another reason is they can now make odd shaped light housings and be able to illuminate evenly where before they would need multiple bulbs.

There is a huge push by auto makers to reduce the weight of the car. That is why ethernet in the car is the next push. The company I work for makes test equipment for testing automotive ethernet.

So true bruce. I don't know what network will win out ethernet,device net, mod-bus or several others including proprietary. Most likely ethernet for the primary. The future is an increased use of a communication bus,ribbon cables and slaved devices. Another advantage is fewer customized wiring harnesses.

thumpar

Admiral
I put LEDs on my last boat trailer. The liked the brightness. The only thing I noticed is that the blinker was faster. I probably wouldn't have changed them out but I was having some gremlins so I got a kitand redid all the wiring and lights.

achris

If you put a resistor of about 15 or 18Ω (5W) between the wire at the plug for each indicator and the ground, your blink rate will return to normal.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Another advantage of LED brake light s that I don't think was mentioned is the faster illumination time. That fraction of a second warns following drivers a tiny bit sooner so their reaction should also be a tiny it sooner. A couple of feet can make the difference between a near miss and a collision.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Another advantage of LED brake light s that I don't think was mentioned is the faster illumination time. That fraction of a second warns following drivers a tiny bit sooner so their reaction should also be a tiny it sooner. A couple of feet can make the difference between a near miss and a collision.
Yes, I agree that this is a big safety advantage of them.

Number21

Seaman
What do you mean by nicer and cleaner? How is that better for a bulb that sits behind a red lense?
Are you color blind or something? Look at a (good quality, DOT approved) LED taillight compared to an old bulb. The LED will have a better color of light, that will shine crisply and clearly through your lens. Not only is this more aesthetically pleasing, it makes it so other drivers can see you better. There is no comparison between the two. the light that comes out of an incandescent bulb is not the same!

Also, if you are going to color light with a lens, it makes more sense to start with neutral white light like an LED provides, not yellow light like comes from a bulb.

It's just like an LED flashlight compared to an old fashioned Mag lite - there is no comparison with the light output, even when you ignore the power consumption and overall bulb life. Nobody thinks incandescent flashlights are cool anymore.

And another reason is they look better, and provide increased safety. Is there a single reason to keep your old style bulbs? ANY advantage at all?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
EDIT: Sorry...not responding to insults.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Number21 - Stop being argumentative and demeaning of other members..

You asked one poster if he read the thread and I'll ask you the same. Did you read post #24? The OP's question has been asked and answered - More than once. If you have nothing to add to the question and can't stay on topic, you are not contributing.

Thank you.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe it needs to be closed, for the most part, it has been a good conversation about a very pertinent technology that will influence us more and more in the future. I do agree that people need to keep themselves in check, there is no reason a moderator needs to step in to remind someone to act like an adult.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We only step in when reminding is needed, otherwise the answer to the question posed by achris is yes. All we ask of members is to be respectful of other members opinions and be civil to other members. If the thread remains open or is closed is determined by all of you, not the moderators.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
GA, my only thought is, it seems after 4+ years of being a member, some moderators have less tolerance than others and with subjects like this one, that is important on many different levels, that this is a good discussion. I also agree 100% that we all have opinions and should be able to voice them, as long as it is done in a manner that is not demeaning to another member, I don't allow name calling or disrespect on any of the systems I run.

achris

The line between voicing an opinion and insulting another member because of their opinion can sometimes be a fine one. Statements like "Are you colour blind or something" is crossing that line! When we (moderators) see a thread heading down a path we'd rather it didn't go we try to redirect it back onto topic. If that doesn't work we will make more direct comments. Failing that the only option left to us is to closed or delete the thread. But I'm sure you already know all this. This board has almost 100,000 active members, and there will always be clashes of personalities and opinions with a group that large. One of our jobs is to try as best we can to keep conversations as civil as possible. Should members become aggressive towards each other we have little choice but to step in and act. I have been accused of being a little 'heavy handed', and not just in my on-line life, but that's how I do things. The upside of that is that if action needs to be taken, I'll not beat around the bush. I have tried in this thread to be subtle and suggestive, but it appears some don't want to hear the message. Yes, it is a very good topic about an old technology emerging into a new field, but civility will take precedence. As I said, both of my posts in this thread have been an attempt to steer the discussion away from individual members getting narcky towards each other... I'm hoping it worked, because if it didn't I will close the thread.

Thank you and, as I have frequently heard lately, 'have a nice day'... (just got home from being in Texas)... ;)

Chris..........
iboats Mod team.