Has anyone converted...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
...From incandescent tail-light bulbs to LED's? I've been researching this and can't find anything definitive on how they would work with the flasher control or whether an external resistor is needed. Some mention the resistor, but I don't understand why an LED made for 12 volts would need a load resistor for voltage reduction or current limiting. I've found a listing for a bulb which is supposedly a direct fit for a 3057, but don't want to risk thirty nine bucks X 2 without some confidence in what I'm doing.

Anybody with experience?

Thanks guys.

rogerwa

Commander
In a car with a canbus network, the resistor is used to minimic the incandesent resistance of the filament. If it doesn't sense the voltage drop across the resistor the computer thinks the bulb is burnt out.

On my Dodge ram I have replaced a number of my internal bulbs with LEDS and where necessary I soldered a resistor across the contacts to eliminate the funky behavior.

Reverse lights didn't need it nor did license place lights. The reading lamps and dome lamps needed the resistor.

You can buy canbus compatible bulbs which have the resistance built in.

Number21

Seaman
It also sets the speed your blinkers blink at if your car has a mechanical blinker module. More current causes a slower blink, less current, like LEDs use, makes a faster blink.

Be careful about what color temp you get, LEDs are great, but any amount of blue or purple in them looks horrible and is illegal. Don't go over 6000k.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am not sure why you would want to switch to LED. It's not like they burn out very often.

Don't get me wrong, I love LED. Practically every light bulb in my house is LED. Just not worth replacing the ones in my car.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I bought a set of Mustang Project sequential LED tail light assemblies for my 1965 Mustang. They are absolutely incredible. When I turn on the blinker or step on the brakes and look in the rear view mirror, the whole world behind me is lit up like a Christmas Tree. I did have to buy an electronic flasher unit to make them work, but work they do. Now I am heading for some LED backup light assemblies. Something that will give some useable light when you are backing up. The nice thing about both the tail light kits and the backup light kits, they fit right into the original housings. Here is a link in case they might have something for your cars.

http://www.mustangproject.com/

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bruce, you're right, they don't burn out often. But when they do, it's not usually noticeable until you're backing up toward a shop window or something. Or a cop stops you to tell you (and sniff around a little). Not a big problem, but kind of a little "improvement project".

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I have no put them in the truck or car yet, but I did convert my 5th wheel over the LED interior lights and I am sold, last time I was in the 5th wheel was about 2 weeks ago and I forgot to turn off the overhead light in the restroom, just went in it this morning and the light was still burning and the batteries had not gone dead! So them little buggers are energy savers to be sure!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Converting interior lights is a whole other story. Interior lights on my boats are getting LED because they are used without the engine on.

I guess replacing my stop lights every 5 years is not a big deal to me. My car also tells me when they burn out.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Being honest with you, I can't remember the the last time I had a tail light burn out? I did have a 3rd light burn out about a year ago, but other than that, I really don't remember.

Bruce, I am well aware that interior lights and tail lights are two different animals!

Last edited:

Number21

Seaman
I am not sure why you would want to switch to LED. It's not like they burn out very often.
Better/brighter light. Not only does it simply look more pleasing to the eye, it's SAFER, because now people can see your lights better. It's a world of difference. Has nothing to do with how fast they burn out. (I would expect cheap chinese LEDs don't last much longer than a good light bulb)

It's kind of like the difference between brand new lenses, and old foggy weathered lenses.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I know I would like to convert the boats interior lights to LED, they have the old 1156 or 1157?? (Bayonet fit with single element)
I would like the LED bulbs to fit into the OEM light fixtures if possible, so I need to do some home work.

(how about fluorescent 12VDC fixtures that don't cost an arm or leg and are reliable??)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
rbh, I bought 20 1157 LED lights for my 5th wheel off ebay and only paid about $25 bucks for them and they shipped them for free, have had them in the trailer for over a year now, with no complaints and buying 20 of them in a package, I have a few extras just in case some of them go out. I got the warm white version which is just about the same color as the regular filament lights in color temp, but no heat at all comes off them. I am very please with them.

Number21

Seaman
(how about fluorescent 12VDC fixtures that don't cost an arm or leg and are reliable??)
LED will do anything fluorescent will do better. Especially in a vehicle, they have no glass to break, or mercury inside, and use less power. It won't be long before all those spiral type fluorescent bulbs are a thing of the past, like 60w light bulbs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Better/brighter light. Not only does it simply look more pleasing to the eye, it's SAFER, because now people can see your lights better.
We are talking about tail/brake lights right? The ones that sit behind red or yellow lenses?

There are already cars that come with LEDs as taillights. They aren't these aftermarket bulbs. There are regs on how bright they are supposed to be.

With these aftermarket bayonet bulb replacements, there is a huge difference in brightness between manufacturers depending on how many LED chips are put on the "bulb".

There are a ton of discussions of these bulbs on all the car forums including the Lexus and Chevy truck forum I am on. A lot of the ones that are used in clear housings just produce the wrong color. What most people seem to conclude is just because you can use them doesn't mean you should.

I really like LEDS. My home is 95% LED now. My power bill is close to half of what it was because of them.

...or mercury inside
Not that I like CFLs, I think they suck, but the amount of mercury in them is so tiny, it's a non issue.

Last edited:

Number21

Seaman
With these aftermarket bayonet bulb replacements, there is a huge difference in brightness between manufacturers depending on how many LED chips are put on the "bulb".
Yes, if you use the cheapest chinese LEDs you can find, you probably won't be happy with them. Spend a couple extra bucks, and they will be way better than any incandescent bulb ever could be. They even sell LED replacements at Walmart, if you don't like them take them back. Proper LEDs will give you a better quality of light than you can achieve with a bulb.

Not that I like CFLs, I think they suck, but the amount of mercury in them is so tiny, it's a non issue.
It's an issue when they break open and dump mercury into your kitchen or bedroom. I don't care how tiny the amount is, I don't want it in there. My shop is full of mercury filled bulbs and I don't care, but I don't eat or sleep in there.

CFLs were only a temporary solution, today's LED bulbs are more efficient and last longer. I'm not sure why they even make CFLs anymore. They even sell 60w LED replacements at the dollar store - and they work pretty good! Linear tubes, like T5 and T8 will still be around for a while.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can understand folks changing to LEDs when an old filament bulb bellies up, but to just go and buy even bulb in a boat, vehicle or even a trailer just because, just doesn't sound economical to me. Yes my totally rebuild boat trailer does have all LEDs, but that is because I was buying a new set to install after completely refurbishing it, and every light was trashed out. SO that made sense to me. And if I have to change any other bulb I will consider LEDs as well. But I will not buy lots of bulbs for any vehicle I own just to change them to LEDs. I mean why? But that IS just my opinion!

bassman284

Commander
I bought my boat new in 2001 and the left tail/brake bulb is original. The filament broke in the right one about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm not motivated to make any big changes.

All that said, I really hate LEDs when I'm following them. They are way too bright.

Number21

Seaman
But I will not buy lots of bulbs for any vehicle I own just to change them to LEDs. I mean why?
Did you even bother to read this thread? People don't use LEDs because of other bulbs burning out. They use LEDs because they give nicer, cleaner, brighter light. They are low cost, and increase your safety. Why would you not use them is a much better question...

Additionally, you look like a moron going down the road if you only have one or two LEDs and everything else is bulbs. If you do one you have to do them all.