Where is Boom at when you need him? Or anyone else.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What freezes up is the small amount of water right at the diaphragm at the top of the switch nipple, which is about 5" long, nothing else freezes and now that we figured this out, it is no big deal to get it going again in a few minutes. The reason I want to move everything in the the house is for ease of access, so if something goes bad during the winter I can get to it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
MT, I feel your pain. I am on a shallow point well and our water is a bit hard. I just replaced both the tank and the pump 2 weeks ago. Ours too is under the house in a crawl space so we are a bit limited on the tank selection we can use because of space.. The brand we were using is Flotek which HD doesn't seem to carry anymore. The bladder in the one we had ruptured and took the pump motor with it because it didn't shut off.

With our water it seems like we are only getting about 6 years use from a tank before it fails. Fortunately we also use a Jet pump on this shallow well. This last set only cost me about $400.00 for both the tank and the pump. As an FYI when I looked Menards was beating HD on price by quite a bit though unfortunately no one is carrying a 44gal tank size that we were using.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wish I could go to Menard's, unfortunately, we don't have one in the whole state of Montana, I just looked at their website and they have the 44 gallon I was looking at, with a 11% rebate on it, making it very reasonable, but I would have to drive to Casper, WY to pick it up! Their shipping cost is way high to my location, ends up making it cost more than HD.

:blue:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Didn't know there were no Menards in Montana.
OT, I have 2 sisters in Lewistown and one in Roundup. The one in Roundup has been out there about 30+ years the other about 10 and I've never been out there to visit. Someday I hope.

NYBo

Admiral
My pressure tank is just over 25 years old. No sign of a problem at all. Must be something (not) in the water.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My pressure tank is just over 25 years old. No sign of a problem at all. Must be something (not) in the water.

At 17 years, I am not unhappy at all, like I said, the well guys told me it would last way less than what we got.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If it is a bladder tank and you have not done it, it is way past time to drain it down and check the precharge. Bladders can stretch and lower the charge. Shut off your pump, drain it down, make sure it gave up all it's water, then check the pressure. It should be 2 psi below the pump turn on pressure. If not charge it up.

NYBo

Admiral
If it is a bladder tank and you have not done it, it is way past time to drain it down and check the precharge. Bladders can stretch and lower the charge. Shut off your pump, drain it down, make sure it gave up all it's water, then check the pressure. It should be 2 psi below the pump turn on pressure. If not charge it up.

I did that a few years ago when I had to replace the pressure switch. It was good!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I had a bit of an eye opener today, I crawled under the house, fought off the spiders and other unidentified bugs, to start getting ready to do the new water tank and low and behold my memory is going on me, the tank that I have been using for almost 20 years is not a 44-47 gallon tank, no, it is an 86 gallon tank! I could of sworn we installed a 47 gallon.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
..... no, it is an 86 gallon tank! I could of sworn we installed a 47 gallon.

It's tough to get old, MT! Be sure to stop by next Christmas and we can commiserate about it. As an adjunct, I just got notice of my High School 50 year reunion. How do you think that makes me feel?

btw, how did you get that thing under the house and how will you get it out? I hate leaving things under me.

Last edited: