Milbank Genset

ehenry

Commander
Do any of you guys have any wisdom on Milbank gensets? I have an opportunity to aquire one, a 20kw with switch gear, for a 'song'. I've never heard of Milbank and am reading on the web about them. Just looking for real hands on experience.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Actually, that is one brand, I have heard of, there were several of them in the Military, but I have never had any experience with them.

ehenry

Commander
Its a late model stand by unit. It has a briggs vanguard engine NG or propane. From what I'm reading on the web its a partnership with brigg & Stratton.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well if it is a Briggs, it is a good engine, my 20KW standby has a Briggs in it and I have never had a problem with it, it takes over when the power goes out and it does not even affect my computers, it is that quick.

When looking at gensets, I don't even worry about what the name is on the outside, the guts of the unit is what matters and believe it or not, most of them are made by the same companies. My standby as I said has a Briggs in it, but the same model they are selling now has the Kholer in it, which I believe is made by a division of Briggs. When looking at small engines these days, it is really confusing.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Holy CR@p 20.000 watts, run by a briggs? are you sure thats not a cat engine?? LOL ( could'nt help myself :laugh: )

Any who, you should be able to convert the LNG/propane back to gasoline if you wanted to, probably just needs a carb, hopefully "NOT" a cam change out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't even look at those that are LPG or gas, it is too difficult to get to my location in the winter. That said, I have never run into an engine that can't be converted back to gasoline.

ehenry

Commander
I wouldnt consider anything other than an LP or NG unit. It runs cleaner and no worries on refueling unless its LP. Unlike, MT, I'm in a readily accessible area and have NG already plumbed. I currently have an older Generac 8kw NG standby unit. This unit and switch gear has been rock solid for 15 years. It has a 20 horse Briggs OHV engine. In 15 years we've only had 4 extended outtages. Katrina was the longest at 10 days. Only issue I've ever had was the plastic starter drive gear stripped and I had to replace it and thats it. I'm looking at this Milbank unit to enable me to carry more of a load. Mainly the A/C compressor that cools the master bedroom end of the house.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
20K is a great sized unit, it will run the average home with no problems at all, if it is a good price, I would not hesitate to get it, I love me 20K unit, it has paid for itself many times over the years.

ehenry

Commander
I can get the unit w\switchgear for less than $1000. I've already contacted the owner. Next step I guess is hiring an electrician to install the switch and make the necessary changes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well if you have things set up for the 8K, installing the 20K will not be any problems at all.