Questions on Gel-Coat

BrianBoat1989

Recruit
Hey everyone, long time silent follower here..

I am considering building a trailer that will be used as a costume trailer/changing rooms for a theater group I am a part of, and was planning on building the frame from steel, and was trying to figure out what I wanted to use as a siding.

I recently heard of Filon Fiberglass, which after some research, appears to be a laminated gel-coat panel. It got me thinking, if I use 3/8" or 1/2" plywood as a exterior shell, if Gel-Coat would be a good coating for weather protection.

Anyone have an experience using Gel-Coat in this type of application? I had never heard of it before I started watching FriscoBoaters videos.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

- Brian

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Filon has a long and strong history, it has been used in the RV business for over 35 years now and taken care of properly, it holds up great, you need to wash it dry it and wax it and it will stay shinny and new looking for a long time,

BrianBoat1989

Recruit
Filon has a long and strong history

Thank you for your input. I really like the idea of using Filon, but am trying to weight the pros and cons of each option.
  • Filon Panels
    • I think this will require a wood shell underneath and costs about $3 ft[SUP]2 [/SUP](based on the prices I found online)
  • 26 gauge sheet metal (flat painted panels)
    • I've used this before for a similar application, about $1 ft[SUP]2 [/SUP]but would still need a wood shell underneath.
  • Get Coat
    • Based on the reading I've done since last night, Gel Coat is designed to be sprayed into a mold.. therefore spraying it onto the outside of a trailer (about 400 ft[SUP]2[/SUP]) is not something I would want to do.
  • Painted plywood
    • This would obviously be the most inexpensive option, and with proper prep work (sanding, routing edges, putty, sanding, caulking) could look really nice (I would do a high gloss paint). But, it wouldn't last as long.
I think the price is going to decide this for me.

Thanks for the input.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You can purchase sheets of filon ready for application, it is normally sold in 1/16 or 1/8 in thickness and my buddy with an RV shop buys it in lengths up to 40 feet long.

Beside the RV industry, it is also used for shower panel walls in high schools and such.