Running a full sized propane gas range off a 20lb bottle

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Is there a specific regulator used for this application? I tried the standard "gas grill" type regulator with no luck.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You run the same regulator that would be used for a 100lb tank,....

BBQ regulators only supply a single or double burner, 'n are restricted at the regulator,....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Is this an actual propane range, or is it a natural gas range? If it is natural gas, the orifice in the main control needs to be change to run off propane. There is also a difference in the delivery pressures between nat gas and LPG.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Thanks Bondo, I figured it was different.
MT, its a full size gas range. I am aware of the different pressures and orifice sizes. Its currently set up for propane. Thanks for the input.

bigdee

Commander
Back yard grill regulators have a safety shut-off if too much flow is detected when valve is first opened. Try cracking the valve open very slowly until lines are fully pressurized.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I will go out and see if I can get any information off of my regulator that I have been using (on a 25 gallon tank) for over 12 years. I'll be right back.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Should be able to run it off of the same type of regulator used on Recreational Vehicles, the type they put on the storage bottles. Depending on your elevation, it should be set to about 16 inches of water column for an appliance that has been set up to run LPG.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
LT, pay a visit to a local propane dealer. What you most likely want is a Fisher Control Type R232A-BBF two stage regulator. My model number R332 is no longer used. The regulator above will come with a 1/4" female pipe thread inlet and a 1/2" female pipe thread outlet. You will have to buy the inlet nipple with the adaptor for the propane tank, then adapt it's 1/2" outlet to your range supply line.

If you are only using a current 20 lb tank, it will require a different connector than my 100 lb/25 gallon tank. The 25 gal tank still uses the old style valve on top of the tank. It will not accomodate the newer safety mandated anti-flow nipple. Those are a total PITA anyway. Any time I need to use one of those for bbq's, etc, I ALWAYS gut the check ball and spring. They ALWAYS fail and restrict or reduce the gas flow to the regulator and beyond. They do make little brass adaptors for the later 5 gallon tanks that will accept the older style (still current in 25 gal tanks) tank valve. This is just another example of Federal mandates complicating your life.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You don't need an adapter, all of the current valves on the new tanks, will still accept the older left hand threaded cone fittings, the new valves are compatible with both the new anti flow connector(outside large threads) but they will still allow you to screw the older connector into them, they have the inside threads just like the older valves.

In the pictures used on this website, you can see the outside threads for the newer style fitting and also see the inside threads for the older fitting.

http://preparednessadvice.com/fuels/the-correct-fitting-for-4-40-pound-propane-tanks/#.VRmPCZxGy8w

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You don't need an adapter, all of the current valves on the new tanks, will still accept the older left hand threaded cone fittings, the new valves are compatible with both the new anti flow connector(outside large threads) but they will still allow you to screw the older connector into them, they have the inside threads just like the older valves.

In the pictures used on this website, you can see the outside threads for the newer style fitting and also see the inside threads for the older fitting.

http://preparednessadvice.com/fuels/.../#.VRmPCZxGy8w

MT, those are the tank valves on newer 5 gallon tanks. The valves on the current 25 gallon tanks are the older inside thread only, so a later BBQ style regulator will not fit on that tank. Aside from the blow out check ball valve, in the nipple of the later BBQ regulator and the outside threads on the attachment end, that regulator would probably work in LT's application. However, I would use a higher order of regulator like I outlined above.

Last edited:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Hey Boom, thanks for the detailed info. I'll be looking for a regulator after work today. LOL, Been gutt'n those check ball and spring setups since I discovered them. Also I have inventory of both old and new style adapters so there is no connection problem either way.
MT, I may go the RV rout as we have a dealer just down the road.
Thanks again for the help

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't use a single stage BBQ regulator, I am also suggesting a 2 stage regulator like you described, it can be any brand, we used to pick them up at the RV shop there in Hazel Dell, but many places carry them, you need to the 2 stage to more effectively get pressure in the correct range.. As far as the valve, they have not required a change to the bigger tanks yet, but it will happen over a course of years like it has on the 20 pound bottles(5 gal) Eventually all of the consumer tanks will have the new valves on them. I won't use the cheap BBQ single stage regulators on anything other than my cheap Portable BBQ, every thing else I have has the 2 stage higher quality regulator on them. Since I have been retired since 2006, I have helped a lot of my friends out in their business, one of which is S&S campers here where I live.