Another puter issue - 8.1 will not let my puter sleep

rbh

Fleet Admiral
We installed (rather 8.1 installed itself!) awhile back, when we had windows 8 it allowed the puter to sleep when not in use.

Now 8.1 keeps the unit going unless we pull the link or power to the router?? then it goes into sleep mode until we move the mouse about

Any ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Go to the power screen, by clicking on the battery icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and choose a different power scheme for it, although I don't know why you would want it to sleep I always turn that off in my computers because certain computers have a heck of a time coming out of sleep mode.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Thanks MTBG, I will look at that.

One thing that has me scratching my head is why is it when the internet is turned off the computer goes to sleep/waiting??? but when its left on (the internet) the computer stays on? is there a connection running in the background???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As long as the internet connection is active, it will keep the computer awake, if you want it to sleep, you have to tell the computer when to turn off the wireless card.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Well that did not work, this is a floor model with no wireless card.
I went into the power settings and put it to sleep if not used in 15 minutes, no go.

My next step should be ? to look at.

(my printer has a wireless card in it I think, but its powered off now -asleep)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? You should still be able to adjust your power schemes, no matter what type of computer it is, go to the control panel, on a 8.1 machine, hit the windows key and the c key at the same time, then you will get a menu, choose settings, then choose control panel, then when you arrive at the control panel, you should have a bunch of icons, including one that says power options, this should allow you to set the various things about your power scheme, either to a pre programed power scheme or you should be able to configure you own scheme for when to shut things off, and sleep or hibernate.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? You should still be able to adjust your power schemes, no matter what type of computer it is, go to the control panel, on a 8.1 machine, hit the windows key and the c key at the same time, then you will get a menu, choose settings, then choose control panel, then when you arrive at the control panel, you should have a bunch of icons, including one that says power options, this should allow you to set the various things about your power scheme, either to a pre programed power scheme or you should be able to configure you own scheme for when to shut things off, and sleep or hibernate.
This is a desk top model, there are no wireless capabilities in this unit, "I adjusted the power scheme to shut off the unit after 15 minutes of no use"

The unit will power down after 15 minutes if I unplug the internet router-- But will stay on if the router is still powered up.

What could be running in the background keeping the unit going?

NYBo

Admiral
Try this:
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Double click on the entry for your network adapter.
3. Click on the Power Management tab.
4. Deselect the box for "Allow this device to wake the computer."
You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As long as the Ethernet cable is plugged in with activity, your computer will stay on, you need to do what NYbro said, change the power scheme on the network port in the computer. Even when you are not doing anything on the computer, the internet is still talking to your computer, if you want to watch your router after the computer has been sitting idle for a while, you will still see the activity lights going on and off.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Guys, I will try that.

But what was the difference between us using 8.0 and 8.1-
8.0 put itself to sleep with the connection going?? What changed?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Guys, I will try that.

But what was the difference between us using 8.0 and 8.1-
8.0 put itself to sleep with the connection going?? What changed?

Someone at Microsoft got a wild hair and coded it differently. Also, you never know, 8.0 might have been programed from the factory to turn the ports off when they are idle from the factory, and the upgrade was not, depends on how the computer manufacture spec'd out when they installed 8.0 on it before retail sale.

Last edited: