Plastic pipe for plumbing

bigdee

Commander
I didn't want to buy the tool and I like the shark bites, I don't have to cut anything up if I have to replace a section of pipe.

If you use the ratchet type crimp rings they can be easily removed and the fitting re-used. They sell a removal tool but I have removed them with a screwdriver and pliers. I have seen push lock fittings fail but have never had a problem with crimp rings. It is with that piece of mind that makes the decision worthwhile.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
For small jobs or if you don't plan to ever do much plumbing, I think the push-on connectors make sense. If you're doing much plumbing work, now or in the future, the expense of those push-on fittings adds up pretty quickly and purchasing a crimping tool would probably make sense. I have an old house and it seems like I find myself doing major plumbing work every few years, so I just bought the crimper and I lend it out to my friends if they need it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you use the ratchet type crimp rings they can be easily removed and the fitting re-used. They sell a removal tool but I have removed them with a screwdriver and pliers. I have seen push lock fittings fail but have never had a problem with crimp rings. It is with that piece of mind that makes the decision worthwhile.

Well at this point in time I am done with my plumbing so don't need to really worry about it anymore.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A consideration for the push-on vs the crimp connections included that to solder the crimp connectors to the copper tubing, the shut-off valves could not allow a trickle of water to flow which is not the case, preventing acceptable soldering. To repair those valves the water would need to be shut off from outside the house.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I put the new plumbing in using the push on fittings, I also was able to use those shut off valves to my advantage to isolate several areas of my house, which makes it much easier to work on specific areas if something goes wrong, such as a broken pipe, which even with the PEX is always a risk in the area that I live.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A consideration for the push-on vs the crimp connections included that to solder the crimp connectors to the copper tubing, the shut-off valves could not allow a trickle of water to flow which is not the case, preventing acceptable soldering. To repair those valves the water would need to be shut off from outside the house.

There is a big difference in risk using just one push on fitting to get connected to the copper. It is after that initial connection that it would be prudent to continue on with crimped fittings.

agallant80

Commander
I have PEX and love it. I just replaced a hot water heater for my friend who has copper, I forgot how much I hated to sweet copper. The PEX you just can cut anywhere you want and crimp in what you need. I got a crimping tool for $60 at HD. It makes life so much easier.

The wife and I are considering buying another historic house, gutting it down to the walls, ripping out the existing plumbing, electric etc. It will be replaced with PEX for fresh water feed and PCV for waste water. The new technology is so much easier to work with.