Question on GFI for Electric Heated Spa?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
My spa was hooked up back in the 1980's, simpler times. It had a 40 A, 240 V circuit (4-wire) leading to the spa. The spa power pack had (still has) a GFI that protects the 120 V circuits (pump low speed, air pump, light), but not the 240 V heater.

Last year I had the circuit upgraded to current code. So, I now have a spa disconnect, located 15 feet away from the spa, that includes a GFI. This GFI protects the entire 240 volt circuit.

My question: is the 120 V GFI located under the spa now redundant? Still needed? Better off without it?

I know this isn't an electrical board, but, I usually get better answers here than on the specialty boards :(

bigdee

Commander
I would leave it in place.....won't hurt a thing. Redundant? Yes but when it comes to safety that is a good thing.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure where you are, but in Canada a GFI is required. The one with the spa only protects the spa itself. The wiring to the spa would not be protected if a fault occurs. A GFI breaker would not only protect the spa and it's users, but the cable going from the panel to the local disconnect that you recently put in.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As said, its not going to hurt anything beyond becoming potentially another troubleshooting point if you are having circuit issues. It has less to do with the presence of water but more to do with paths around the hot tub which lead to ground. When a GFCI senses a loss of 4-5 mA in the operating circuit it trips so as to protect people from shock.

Last edited:

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd leave both in place. It doesn't hurt anything and redundant is good when it comes to safety. Is the one in the spa a breaker or sort of a blank face receptacle? I'm sure specs vary but it used to be that the receptacle types tripped at about 5 mA but the breaker types tripped at 30 mA. If that's the case with your set up then built in one should trip sooner than the breaker if there's a problem on a circuit other than the heater.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I'd leave both in place. It doesn't hurt anything and redundant is good when it comes to safety. Is the one in the spa a breaker or sort of a blank face receptacle? I'm sure specs vary but it used to be that the receptacle types tripped at about 5 mA but the breaker types tripped at 30 mA. If that's the case with your set up then built in one should trip sooner than the breaker if there's a problem on a circuit other than the heater.

Yeah, it looks like a blank faced receptacle.

OK, sounds like it should stay. Thanks, guys.