Whirlpool washer

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 5 year old washer that won't agitate under load. It will spin and agitate on test mode, just dogs out out with clothes in it. the motor will hum, just can't make the tub move. Any help appreciated. (does a little at 1st then nothing)
Thanks

bigdee

Commander
The clutch lining is worn out. You can replace the clutch assembly for about $30. It is under the tub on topside of transmission.
It is slighty possible that the plastic drive coupler on the motor shaft is bad but it most cases the tub would not turn at all.

Last edited:

ehenry

Commander
I had a whirlpool top load that did what you are describing. THere is a kit to replace the plastic dogs in the agitator cone. Not expensive and easy to replace.

bigdee

Commander
I had a whirlpool top load that did what you are describing. THere is a kit to replace the plastic dogs in the agitator cone. Not expensive and easy to replace.

He said his tub was not turnining either so that points to the brake/clutch lining being worn

ehenry

Commander
danged if he didn't......I missed that. You're sure right! Too bad though.....sounds pricey to me.