Engine swap on my old Toro Snowblower . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
With the record amounts of snow fall this year, here on the east coast, I have become quite the snowblower gear head. Not that I was a novice before, I just did enough to keep the thing running.

My Toro crapped out on the first snowfall of the year, and at first glance, it looked to be an 'involved' repair. So, I decided to get a new snow blower to continue the snow season - good thing too.

A few weeks ago, I decided to take a closer look at the Toro and realized it could be saved. Along the way, I figured the engine would need some replacement parts, etc. I had also joined up on the snowblowerforum.com web site, which was a good source of info. The guys over there advocated a re-power with a "Predator 212cc" engine from Harbor Freight. It would be a power upgrade of about 30% and the engines seemed to be pretty much 'plug 'n play' with the old engines.

This weekend Harbor Freight was having a sale on the engines - Predator 212cc - for $99.99 ( 100 bucks :D ). Normally these engines are $120, which is a good price anyway. If I was to keep the old engine (a Tecumseh 5 hp) I'd be looking at about $75 in new parts plus the repair work. The engine had been good over its 20 year life, but the newer designs deliver much more power and fuel efficiency. So, why not . . .

It took me the better part of the morning to go to HF, get the engine, go to the hardware store to get some new fasteners, go back to the hardware store to get the correct bolt for the drive shaft, go to the auto parts store to get a new v-belt, etc. But the actual engine swap was pretty straight forward, I must say . . .

Here are a few pics. . .

Old engine off and new engine ready to go . . . IMG_5818.JPG

The Predator 212cc engines come in 3 varieties, standard head, hemi head, and California compliant. I got the hemi head, as it is reported to have a slightly better valve setup and a bit more power (like 7 hp vs. 6.5 hp).

Here is the engine installed on the machine.

IMG_5825.jpg

I had to make a slight modification of the crank handle bracket to clear the valve cover of the engine. The old style engines had the cylinder going straight up/down, so they had a more narrow profile. The new engines have the cylinder movement at an angle, so it takes up more space on the left side.

IMG_5824.jpg

I am currently 'breaking-in' the engine, which is about 5 hours of running under various speeds & loads. No snow in the forecast (only rain) so I am clearing old snow from the backyard, just to give the engine a moderate work-out and see how it runs. So far, so good, this thing is now better than my new snowblower :thumb:

Anyway, the engine replacement thing on yard equipment was somewhat new to me, but once I got into it, was quite easy. It can be done for all kinds of equipment, lawn mowers, air rakes, lawn vacs, snowblowers, etc. So, just wanted to share.

For a $100 to do a re-power, you can't beat it. Sure is easier than dropping a new Merc 454 in the back of a boat :D .

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
I swapped out the engine on my high wheel push mower for a 212cc HF. I use this mower for clearing small brush. I am well satisified with the HF engine, it is a Honda clone. It actually runs better than my Honda that I have on another mower and starts on first pull every time.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A little disappointed, TP. :blue: Since you went with the Hemi, I was hoping for this in case Old Man Winter takes a bead on you next year.

7561235134622102.JPG

Your re-power is probably safer on snow and ice. :D Hoping for more than 20 more years outta her! :thumb:

tpenfield

Staff member
Now that would be a really nice snow blower GA, a true 'Hemi' . . .

Since I fixed up the old one, now I got myself 2 working machines . . . probably will lend one to the neighbor as he has only got a little 1 stage thrower.

Here is some action video testing the new engine out with the snow in the back yard . . . this stuff is dense and wet, yet the re-vitalized snow blower throws is a good distance with ease.

gotta love a re-power for around $100 :) I almost wish it would snow again so I can put it to a real test (almost wish that is . . .)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Snow up past your knees and almost wishing for more? You need help, TP. I guess you have to clear the snow so the yard can be mowed. LOL

She's workin' good!

alldodge

Staff member
Have to agree 100 for a repower is amazing. At these prices China will take over the small engine market, hope you have many years of non-use ahead. Only say that because you want to use it but I bet everyone around you doesn't. :rolleyes: :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, that snow in the back yard used to be above my waist . . . but several weeks of compacting and recent melting has got it down to knee high. :rolleyes:

Might not see bare ground until Mid-April.

Last edited: