Best site to buy PC parts to assemble your own home tower system?

ezbtr

Commander
Been looking at frys, have used others in the past, just want to modernize, so used to slapping stuff together for work, ie, spare parts, low budget, whats your experiences?

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know that there is an answer to that question, I normally buy a bare bones system locally, then add things from the net or ebay.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have built about 40 computers with frys parts. Make sure you know that stuff is compatible and realize it's possible things won't work out of the box...I can't say i have ever had a bad experiance. My main system is a i7 with 16 gig of ram with 2 nvidia Titans in sli on dual 4k monitors. Cost like $2600. It shouldn't be obsolete for another 6 weeks or so:eek:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
When I and my son were in the computer building mode we used to get all the stuff from Frye's electronics. It helped that they were only 30 minutes from us,

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I shopped Fry's, MicroCenter and local Mom & Pop computer parts stores when I was building. It's possible building isn't cheaper, it just feels better because you can leave out the junk.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is why I buy the base system locally, I know the guy at the Mom and Pops and we normally can work a pretty good deal out, but I won't buy his extra parts, cause that is where he makes his money, so I deal with some of the guys I know on ebay that I have bought a lot of stuff from. I bought from new egg once, boy that was an experience, so won't deal with them anymore.

rogerwa

Commander
Never had an issue with Newegg. Even had warranty issue after a power surge on a mobo and other parts and had no problems getting replacements.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Never had an issue with Newegg. Even had warranty issue after a power surge on a mobo and other parts and had no problems getting replacements.

I am glad to hear you had much better luck than I did Roger.

I use to always build my own from scratch and ive built at least 100 for other people over the years. This time (3 years ago) I decided that I would just buy a stripped base unit as I already had the display. I ended up with alienware as I was looking for a machine that could be modified but had the most important parts already installed or supported by the motherboard. I was surprised that the base unit wasn't that expensive considering liquid cooling with a I7 on a motherboard that allows over clocking. Now I did make one mistake by not upgrading the power supply which I had to upgrade later but all in it was a great buy. I bought it with the worst options for graphics, memory and hard drive then replaced all of the parts. I resold the memory on ebay and used the hard drive as a back up drive to a SSD drive. The graphics cards were bought used and installed in sli. (that's were the larger power supply came in)
3 years on im still happy with the computer and im not even overclocking the chip. Until they design a game or come out with something that can tax this system I can see no reason to upgrade. Great thing is I have spare bays and wiring for just about any upgrade I may need so most upgrades are just plug and play especially as the case is tool less so every thing clips and swings out. The case has enough room so if the motherboard does die I can replace it with a different brand.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've bought a lot of stuff from Newegg and I was generally happy with their stuff.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I live near the Los Angeles computer show that is held at the LA county fairgrounds. Built a couple computers from the ground up using parts purchased there when I was into gaming. To me it's not worth it anymore. Buying parts at Fry's would be way too expensive compared to the Computer Show.

southkogs

Staff member
<<PAUSE: SMALL HIJACK>>

... when I was into gaming ...
Bruce ... that brought me to a screeching halt. NOT something my mind's eye has pictured you ever being into after reading your posts for years. Dunno' why really ...

<< END HIJACK: AS YOU WERE>>

Sorry Heinz: I can't contribute anything productive to the topic as I've been running Macs for a while.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
<<PAUSE: SMALL HIJACK>>

Bruce ... that brought me to a screeching halt. NOT something my mind's eye has pictured you ever being into after reading your posts for years. Dunno' why really
Used to do a lot of online multi player games.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Used to do a lot of online multi player games.

:D Yes i do understand that, at the age of 40 i experienced my second childhood. To this day my children rib me about this and with a bit of a grin i just shake my head and smile and cast them a glare.....remember first come's darkness then you pass quitely into the night. I_DarKDeath_l Mech 3. Ruler of the BushWacker...sort of.

Finally grew up browsing the net at 4 GHZ quad core and 12mb of ram.....well maybe a little.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There is only 1 game, I have every played on a computer since the graphics interface came along is one called "Dragons Lair" other than that, nope.

southkogs

Staff member
I play a couple of different games on our LAN with my son, so it's not that I don't get it. Just didn't picture Bruce as a hardcore gamer like that. Again, don't know why ... just tossed me there. :noidea:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I play a couple of different games on our LAN with my son, so it's not that I don't get it. Just didn't picture Bruce as a hardcore gamer like that. Again, don't know why ... just tossed me there. :noidea:
Not hardcore. Something I did every once and awhile.

Was actually more into Call of Duty on Playstation than anything.

I had to stop. Was too addictive. Would stay up too late.

Last edited: