Junk calls on my cell phone!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have recently been plagued with calls from strange area codes. I used to answer them and they were usually robo calls, so if I do not recognize the area code, now I do not answer them. The strange thing is I keep getting them and they usually only ring a couple of times, then quit. I have googled a number of the different numbers and they all usually show up as solicitation numbers. The mystery is why I am getting so many of them (up to several times a day from different numbers) and they never let it ring long enough to even get my voicemail.

What could this plague be?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Solicitation companies purchase cell phone lists and then set them up in robo call machines, it is pretty common these days.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I f I get a number that calls me multiple times, I add it to my contacts labeled as spam number and tell my phone to always send it to voice mail.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
It seems like the frequency of these on my cell phone has skyrocketed in the last several months. The worst are the calls from "cardholder services" trying to trick me into opening a credit card with some unknown company. Whatever happened to the Do Not Call Registry? When I first enrolled in that, it helped, but lately the number of calls has been ridiculous....

aspeck

Staff member
Registration on the Do Not Call Registry is only for a set period of time, then you must reregister. When I start getting calls, I know it is time to re-register. It usually lessens the number of calls I get. It does not do away with them all together, however.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had heard a long ago that the sound you hear when you dial a disconnect number will work with them removing you off their robo call list. Their computer calling system hears that tri tone sound and removes that number from being dialed again. Does it actually work? I don't know because I haven't set it up to test. But I'm surely getting ready to try it myself...

bigdee

Commander
Whatever happened to the Do Not Call Registry? .

Do not call registry is for legitimate businesses. Scammers ignor it. For landline NOMOROBO will catch most of these calls. I do not know if there is anything equivalent for cell phones.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have Century link for the landline at home. We were being heavily attacked by multiple calls a day. Fortunately, Century link had a feature that intercepts all calls, tells the caller that this number does not accept solicitation calls. If you are legitimate, press one to continue. This feature has almost totally stopped the solicitation calls. I have heard that people with many other carriers do not have this feature Plus I would not want to use it, even if available, on my cell because it is my little business line.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I did a confirmation request on my Do Not Call registry entry, and it shows my phone is still on the list. I must just be getting calls from scum who ignore the registry list.

bassman284

Commander
IMO, the Do Not Call registry is largely a waste of time because the problem callers ignore it. Or else they use it as a source of active phone numbers, which is what I really suspect. I put my land line on DNC 5 or 6 years ago when it came out and it gets bombarded with junk calls all the time. I never put my cell phone on the list and it gets maybe 8 or 10 junk calls a year.