Looking for the best Mozilla FireFox Forum.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
For some time now, FireFox has taken forever to open for the first time after a reboot. Once the first FF browser opens, subsequent additional browsers would open quickly enough.. I usually have 4-6 pages open at any one time and any links opened off of displayed sites worked well. If I wanted to open a new page I would always click on the FireFox icon and start from the homepage. (which happens to be a google search)

Now when I do that, this is what I get. Notice that there is no menu at the top of the page. The little box on the left, under the title bar is inactive as are the minimize, expand and close icons on the top right of the title bar.

If no one here knows what is going on, a suggestion for the best FireFox forum would be appreciated
This is using XP with FF ver 37

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Windows has discontinued support for XP, so if I had to guess, WinXP and an older version of FireFox arent up to date enough to manage the new and improved rich java web pages.

A WinXP machine wont be fast compared to newer machines, so initial load takes a while to 'build'. Once its been opened, WinXP caches some info that isnt going to change each time you open it. Things like the framework of FireFox, the header and etc of your home page.

Are you opening new TABs or new windows when you gave multiple web pages loaded. If separate windows, you might try using tabs instead. Should lighten the load XP has to handle....

Not sure how many versions back 3.7 FireFox is, but it may not be getting updates anymore either

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
FF version 37 is one past my version on W7. So I think yours is up to date.

Try right clicking on the top bar to see if you can open the menus, Boomy.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would bet that your memory and CPU usage is way up when this happens, which is causing everything to stall to a snails pace as things progress on, it is going to become more difficult to continue running XP, I had to upgrade my last XP machine to Win 7 the other day, because it would not run the software I needed for a class I am taking.