I fixed a sweet 65 Stang today on the roadside, quiz to follow fixed in 7 mins :)

ezbtr

Commander
So I saw a bad *** 65-66 Stang on the side of the road, pulled around to admire it and saw it was not running, son was a bit pissed cuz I stopped(gear head that I am, and cherish the memories of my 68 hipo internals, you name it, 68 custom fastback) I talked to the nice young man (Mitchell) and his mom, told em to pop the fiber hood(like mine) give me a brief description of what was under there, nice 302, got it running in 7 minutes, ok, all my gear buds - it was a crank no start situation, what did I do to spec and fix it????? heeheee

Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
Aren't you going through workman's comp issues right now? Hope they aren't following you around town while you're fixing cars.:peep:

Was it no fuel or no spark related?

I'll admit it's kind of a good feeling to be able to stop and help get something running again for someone like that.:)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Was it a stock engine? I assume no, as the 302 was not available in the 1965 model Mustang., if it was a small block 65 it should have had the 289 in it. I have owned a dozen 64.5. 65 and 66 models over the last 35 years.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Popped the cap off pulled out the rotor scrapped the crud off the tip and cleaned the pick up, scrapped clean the caps pick up tabs?
(Thats usually a quick fix)

alldodge

Staff member
It cranked but would not start, and it took 7 minutes to find it. I would guess the rubber terminal fitting going to the coil
65 stang1.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You started talking to him about workman's comp and by the time you were done the engine cooled off and the vapor lock went away? :)

bassman284

Commander
You started talking to him about workman's comp and by the time you were done the engine cooled off and the vapor lock went away? :)
Ha! If he gave them the full story on workman's comp the car would have been 2 years older. ez knows what I'm talking about.

ezbtr

Commander
TWO loose coil wires!!!! + and -, one wrench, fixed!, naw i crutched my way over and just felt around the motor, great comments guys! :rolleyes: