Boy did I score today...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Rarely do I stop by our local pawn shop, but on a whim today, I dropped in, and low and behold, I picked up two SSD Hard Drives, 128 GB each for $40 bucks, for both of them, new in the package, talk about fast, man, these SSD drives are the way to go, the reduced the boot time for my laptop from about 3 minutes to less than 40 seconds and saving stuff to them is almost instant, I am glad I slummed a bit today, these things are great!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nice grab, MT. I bet the shop thought they were plain, old hard drives.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I love SSD drives. I wouldn't have a computer without them.

southkogs

Staff member
Been thinkin' about converting my old(er) iMac to an SSD. Nice grab MT.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Tell me / us about the install.
Did you clone the existing drive then swap them ? If so what software did you use?
The plug ins that connect to existing drive will fit the SSD > These connections are standard?
Did you disable defrag?
I do not have a Windows7 disc .
I want to do this to my laptop , it seems fairly straight forward and I am probably over thinking it ;)
Thanks

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just used AOMEI Partition Assistant to move the OS to the SSD, took the old HD out, plugged in the SSD and away I went. It is a pretty simple process, I am running Windows 8.1, but I have done this in the past with my windows 7 machines, it works pretty much the same. All of the companies selling SSD's also have programs to make migration to their products painless.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I'm writing this after my first (7 second!!!) boot after a HDD to SSD swap. If you have an older machine, do yourself a favor and grab one of these drives. Its like a new laptop. I've started using google's music and photo services, so I actually downsized from 500 GB to 256. I just don't need that storage space anymore with so many cloud services available now. The 256 with a USB to 2.5" drive cable was just over $100. Best money I've spent in a long stretch.

Thanks for the heads up, MT.

EDIT: If you have way too much music on your drive like I did, google just raised their upload limit to 50,000 tracks. No more itunes update splash screens for me!

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds great, I got a Chromebook for Xmas and I am very used to fast boot times now.

Chromebook is great but I do need a Windows computer also , my WIndows7 laptop is less than 2 years old but boot time seems like forever. I have gotten rid of much of the garbage that runs in the background, got the startup list down to the basics but it still seems slow.

chemi where did you get the SSD drive? Sounds like a bargain.

Thanks

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds great, I got a Chromebook for Xmas and I am very used to fast boot times now.

Chromebook is great but I do need a Windows computer also , my WIndows7 laptop is less than 2 years old but boot time seems like forever. I have gotten rid of much of the garbage that runs in the background, got the startup list down to the basics but it still seems slow.

chemi where did you get the SSD drive? Sounds like a bargain.

Thanks

I got mine here with a Prime membership (also money well spent!): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This cable works fine, too, you don't need USB 3.0, it also works on 2.0: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T
he drive came with an Acronis True Image reg. key. Once you clone your HDD it was 2 screws on the bottom of my laptop and done.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Pulled the trigger last night on a little MacBook that's been re-worked with an SSD for my kiddo. We'll see how it screams along.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Great score!
I've been using a couple of SSDs in my desktop for about a year, they're awesome. I'll wait another month or so for the prices to drop a bit more on the 240gb for my new laptop.

ive had my 128 ssd for over 3 years now and I wouldn't go back to a normally drive as a primary I like the fast boot but my favorite thing is how quiet it runs