My 2nd Annual 'I Love My Toro Snowblower' Thread

JoLin

Vice Admiral
21" single stage with the 2-stroke B&S engine. Used to own a big Poulan 2-stage electric-start thrower that was overkill for my drive and walkways, even though the driveway is 14' by 60+; long. Was just too much machine to muscle around. It'd only come out when we had a big snowfall, which happened maybe 6 times in the 6 years I owned it.

Two years ago I sold it off and bought the Toro used. I call it Mighty Mouse. Easy to handle, whips through 4-6 inches of snow in one pass, and always starts on the first or second pull. Does my driveway and walkways in about half an hour. Heck, it used to take me almost that long to hump the old one out of the garage and get started.

It's a great little machine.

bassman284

Commander
Yup, a 2-stage is a fine looking piece of machinery, but for most uses the single stage will get it done faster and, as you say, a lot easier to pull out and use. I had a little 14" Toro that I got from my cousin in about 1979. I used it until 1998 when I moved to the condo and gave it to my nephew. Anything over about 6 or 7" would make it bark pretty good, but it never quit.

nwcove

Admiral
.....i may start my first annual " i hate my snowblower" thread !!!!

tpenfield

Staff member
I bought a new Troy-Bilt snow blower at the beginning of the season, because my Toro 521 crapped out. Good thing too, with the record amounts of snow this winter. I figured that the Toro was beyond fixing, but sure enough, I got it running this weekend :). Now I have 2 machines. I also joined up over on the snowblowerforum.com site. Anyone else here frequent there?

Hasn't there been a bunch of snow on Long Island this year, beyond what you could easily do with a single stage? My neighbor has one of those and I've helped him with the heavy stuff that the slow plows leave at the edge of the road.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I bought a new 24 inch a couple of years ago, and I like it, I will never love plows or snowblowers, but if they do the job, I am not going to complain, now if I had a paved driveway and walkway to the house where it only took a few minutes to do, I might love them.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hasn't there been a bunch of snow on Long Island this year, beyond what you could easily do with a single stage? My neighbor has one of those and I've helped him with the heavy stuff that the slow plows leave at the edge of the road.

A few times. When that happens I go out a couple of times during the snowfall, or just 'nibble' away at it afterward. That snow depth isn't the norm, though. It's easier for me to run the little machine a couple times than it was to wait and haul out the 'big gun' to muscle through a foot of snow in one pass. Like I mentioned in the first post, it doesn't happen often enough to justify the bother of the big machine (at least not for me).