snow blower govenor/throttle issues- tecumseh

nwcove

Admiral
was a balmy -5 today so i thought i would do some much needed maintenance on the old snow blower.... rekit the carb , and replace the primer button and fuel lines. not sure what went wrong......this thing now wants to rev like a two stroke ! i did watch every vid on youtube and still have no idea why its over revving and the gov wont get it under control. all linkages are in there original holes etc etc. anyone have a similiar experience that they rectified ?

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a time tested cold weather engine. The nice thing about that tecumseh is that it's simple. The problem is something simple most likely. Check the compression release lever on the side of the motor. If I remember right, there is a rod or spring that goes to the carb. If that is binding or in the wrong hole, that would be to blame. Can you control the rpm manually with it?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Are you certain all adjustment screws are back exactly as original? You may have an air leak at the carb "base" or the linkage may be bound up.

If it was a simple rebuild and the welsh plugs were not removed then I would look at the throttle linkage (there are 3 holes on top of the carb so it may be in the wrong hole). A leak in the primer bulb or pipe could also cause a problem as over revving would require both air and fuel. Its easy to make a mistake that adds to much fuel like a needle not seating but its harder to get a get enough air to make the engine rev unless the governor is not working or there is another path that both air and fuel can pass (primer pipe, welsh plug missing, bad gasket). You may have to remove the inlet cover and plug the primer pipe so you can see if the butterfly on the carb is closing at high rpm.

nwcove

Admiral
thanks for the responses, all i did to the carb was blow it out ,new float and seat, bowl gasket and new nozzle o-ring. i did replace the primer button and line, and replaced the fuel line. starts first pull but revs like crazy......just hoping to get a couple of more storms out of this 20 year old blower.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you put a new float in it, make sure you didn't ding the float needle or bend the float mount a little bit, I did that one year and man it took me a while to figure it out. I dinged the end of the needle and it was hard to see, but it was really messing with things up.