2 Ton Hoist and Trolley

alldodge

Staff member
Built my first 30x48 pole barn and installed two 30ft H beams with trolley (one front and one rear). Had an engineer at work provide me with the specs to support 3 Tons. Only ever used the front one.

Currently building a 40x64 pole barn and want to install either another beam spanning 40 feet, or some kind of swing hoist capable of lifting 2 Tons, could get by with 1 Ton. Ceiling height is 16ft and door height is 14ft. Will have two 16x14 doors on the gable end. There is a 4 foot space in the middle of the two doors.

Have any suggestions?

how about making a A frame about 12' wide that runs on tracks. That way you could roll it out to pick something off the back of a truck then roll it back into the shop.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I recommend the A-frame as well. that way you can move it anywhere you want in the shop. had them on tracks, and had them on wheels. I personally like the wheels vs tracks.

alldodge

Staff member
I thought about a gantry crane, and it would work and be more versatile, but it would also be in the way most the time. The building would just be for storage and I can just use my backhoe, but sure like something easier to use when needed. Also looked at Jig cranes and dang they are expensive. Wonder what a 40ft 8 inch high H beam cost, and what would be the load capacity?

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
You don't need 8" high. just need to support more often from rafters, if your only a ton or two. Sounds like your trying to run 40 ft. with nothing between. You can support even a 4 inch where ever you want with the right dolly setup.

The Jig cranes need a footer/base that your need to pour before you do the floor, then it's stuck at that location unless you want to redo the floor again.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
My current H beams in the shop (30 footers) have an extra 6x6 concreted in right beside the 6x6 which hold the rafters and top plates. The beam sits on top the second 6x6 and only used the adjacent 6x6 to keep it from falling off the side. My current setup is two 30 foot free span H beams with trolleys

Agree with you and the Jib crane, guess I'll keep thinking about it