Any good tricks to remove a headphone plug!!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well, Plugged a patch cord into the headphone jack on one of my desktops and went to remove it, low and behold it broke, the tip of the plug came off and stayed in the jack, it is a stereo 3.5 mini jack like used on iPods and of course sound cards on our computers, never had this happen before, is separated at the first joint on the plug, I can see if in the jack, but have nothing small enough to get to it. With that tip stuck in there the system senses it is plugged in and won't let the other headphone jack work. Talk about luck!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I was able to figure out how to disable the rear jack and get the front jack working, what a pain in the....you know what! And yes, at least it is inside work, but you know, right now, most of the snow is gone and it is over 50 degrees outside!!! Yikes early spring!

alldodge

Staff member
Well, Plugged a patch cord into the headphone jack on one of my desktops and went to remove it, low and behold it broke, the tip of the plug came off and stayed in the jack, it is a stereo 3.5 mini jack like used on iPods and of course sound cards on our computers, never had this happen before, is separated at the first joint on the plug, I can see if in the jack, but have nothing small enough to get to it. With that tip stuck in there the system senses it is plugged in and won't let the other headphone jack work. Talk about luck!

All the types I've seen use side touch points to connect to the bottom. From it using side contact means the very bottom center of the can be opened (drill or soldering iron). Like the one below but sealed.
qrtrinch-jack_numbered_600.jpg

So if you can open up the bottom enough to get a paper clip slid in from the back, you might be able to push it out.
stereo_jack_123_med.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Oh, I am real familiar with them, I have just never seen one do this, like I said, I was able to rewire a couple of things and get the front headphone plug working, but what a pain, I am taking a video course and don't want to bug my wife while I am doing it, so I figured watch with headphones..

Thanks guys.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had luck using a small drill bit and drilling into the jack and pulling it out..
also
q-tip with no cotton, and dab of super glue