Idler pulley

NYBo

Admiral
I've been having a problem with my tow vehicle the past several days. The serpentine belt was loose and slipping. After about 5 or 10 seconds of running, power steering and alternator function would return. I figured the tensioner had gone bad. I finally got a chance to diagnose the problem. Below is a picture of the lower idler pulley I removed. photo215544.JPG Think I should replace it?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think a dab of sticky grease would help it live another minute or so.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They are not that expensive, and you have it off already, just replace it and have the piece of mind knowing it will not blow apart on you while you are towing. In the mean time, you could pick up a couple of cans of grease and practice playing McGyver!

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
If not for the dust shield (not shown), the belt would have come off for sure. I can't believe I drove it that way for at least 60 miles that way. The belt wasn't even damaged.:facepalm:

NYBo

Admiral
They are not that expensive, and you have it off already, just replace it and have the piece of mind knowing it will not blow apart on you while you are towing. In the mean time, you could pick up a couple of cans of grease and practice playing McGyver!

Oh, yeah, replaced it this morning.