Talking about RC Heli's the other day, I want one of these!

TexMonty

Seaman
Wholy smokes - I have some large RC copters and planes, but no copters this big. That would be expensive to fix!!!!!

alldodge

Staff member
That is a big one, I've been looking at this one
main_phantom.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
This is the one we're building right now:

52863.jpg

Gettin' our feet wet before we go after one of the fancier ones.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was down at the Hobby shop the other day and they 4-5 of those micro drones flying around, it was like being a swarm of bee's

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I did find out, there is a package, that I can use to put a camera on my 450 class heli.

southkogs

Staff member
Looks nice, what's the run time?

According to the paperwork, about 20 minutes. But, we think that's with a full load and we haven't flown 'em yet. We're actually having our CAP cadets build them, and they're going to start out flying line of sight. We'd like to switch to a first person within 8 months and see if we can go out of sight range with 'em. We'll probably try putting two cameras on board and a GPS.

TexMonty

Seaman
I have been looking at the DJI drones. I have a ranch in Central Texas I would love to use one on to see the wildlife - they show about 18 minutes fly time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to admit that I personally, right, don't have a dying urge for a quad-copter or "drone", but after other projects are finished, I could get back into R/C again. That is why I haven't gotten rid of all my R/C kits in the attic. I have about eight or nine large kits to build yet. However, with that said, the absolute best "drone" I have seen yet, was a CG one on the new series of Hawaii-Five-O about three months ago now. It was an amazing CG drone on there. I'd love to build a facsimile of it, but just a little smaller then a full size they used...

southkogs

Staff member
DJI is showing 25 mins flight time with their 5200 mAh battery
http://www.dji.com/products/compare-phantom

Figure if I get into these I'm looking at flying time with camera and auto return home capabilities. Would hate to spend the coin to only have it fly away :sorrow:

That Phantom is a pretty cool rig - we looked at them too. But fly time was nearly the same ... and we could wreck the little FPVs for about $500 less :D Something like the Phantom is where we'd like to get to in a year or two.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am not even going to look at the quads, until such time at the FAA figures out what they are going to do with things, I know that my heli could be considered a drone, but they are not in the news like the drones are right now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am not even going to look at the quads, until such time at the FAA figures out what they are going to do with things, I know that my heli could be considered a drone, but they are not in the news like the drones are right now.

Just remember MTboatguy, when "drones" are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones. :facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just remember MTboatguy, when "drones" are outlawed, only outlaws will have drones. :facepalm:

I don't think they are going to be outlawed, but things are really up in the air right now, I read an article about the drone that landed on the White House lawn and within a week the company makes them changed all of the software so you can't do that anymore, so they are programing no fly zones into the software and Sunday watched a news story about several incidents last week where commercial airliners were seeing drones in their flight paths, one of them at 8600 feet in altitude. Yikes.

southkogs

Staff member
I understand the hesitation on the drones/quads. If it wasn't for the fact that we are working on a particular "mission" capability with them, I would probably not bother too much.

We've got an Amazon distribution center pretty close to the house: I've been waiting for stuff to show up by quad-copter on the front porch :D