Heads up for Ford Triton V8 owners!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I've not had a chance to check them. The sound I hear is a whistling; I thought maybe I had a vacuum leak or the air filter was really clogged and sucking air (it wasn't), but I would never have thought to check. It stops after the engine is fully warmed.

I didn't realize what is required to check the plugs. Not looking forward to that...

Jim

Well, this AM I didn't hear the normal full whistling but it still chirped in the same tone, so I'm leaning towards the whistling sound being something else besides the plugs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I once had a sound that could be described as a whistle and after going through all of the normal causes, ended up finding it was a silicone O-Ring that sealed up the intake runners, on my particular Ford V-6(SHOC) motor, there is 6 individual silicone O-Rings that seal the 6 runners and we found out that one had split when it was installed and it finally after several thousands of miles had finally opened up a small amount due to shrinkage and was creating the whistle.

captmello

Captain
This makes me nervous. My 2005 F-150 has started making a whistling noise when the engine revs (and when it's cold). I'm wondering if one or more of the plugs are loose. Would they be loose enough that you could feel it testing by hand?

As stated the plugs popping was an earlier generation issue, you're plugs should be the type that get stuck, mine did. On cause for whisling could be the foam gasket that goes around the lower part of the aircleaner "drawer" is known for breaking down and causing a whistle.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
If it is a 3 valve head then spitting plugs is not a problem, breaking plugs were the problem, but if you can get them out with out breaking they do make a redesigned 1 piece plug that cures the breaking problem.
The older generation, 1997 - 2003 that spits plugs, strips the threads was 4.6, 5.4 & the V10. The 4.2 V6 is a different design and had no spark plug issues .
But there is confusion because not all 04's got the new 3 valve head, Vans, Expedition, Excursion(?) , I'm not sure what didn't get the new head.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well, this AM I didn't hear the normal full whistling but it still chirped in the same tone, so I'm leaning towards the whistling sound being something else besides the plugs.

its a issue under the dash.have the same thing and it only happens to me in the winter.im leaning towards the heating system .a vac switch or something like that.not to worried about it quite frankly and the trucks heater is still a virtual blast furnace.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
In my case, the whistling sound changes pitch with changes in engine RPM. It is highest in pitch (and loudest) and the engine revs, and the sound is essentially inaudible at idle RPMs and slightly above. That doesn't sound like the heating system to me, unless I'm misunderstanding something about how that system works.

I will check the air cleaner drawer gasket per captmello's post above. Would that gasket breakdown be visibly apparent, or is this something I'd just have to replace and see if it helped?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
.......they do make a redesigned 1 piece plug that cures the breaking problem........

That one piece plug is made by Champion and from extensive reading it appears that they do not work well or long as a substitute for the OEM Motocraft or Autolite plug.

The newer Motocraft plugs are still two piece but they changed the barrel material to nickel and recommend that you use nickel anti seize compound as well. Nickle is harder than the original plug barrel material and is supposedly not as prone to hanging on to the carbon as the original plug material.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
In my case, the whistling sound changes pitch with changes in engine RPM. It is highest in pitch (and loudest) and the engine revs, and the sound is essentially inaudible at idle RPMs and slightly above. That doesn't sound like the heating system to me, unless I'm misunderstanding something about how that system works.

I will check the air cleaner drawer gasket per captmello's post above. Would that gasket breakdown be visibly apparent, or is this something I'd just have to replace and see if it helped?

Mine is the same as this, if you find out for sure let me know and I'll do the same.