Heads up for Ford Triton V8 owners!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I've had some help with my Expedition on here before and know quite a few on here drive them, so I thought I'd post this up in the hopes that it helps somebody.

Yesterday I had a plug pop from my 4.6. It was the #3 cylinder, 2nd from the back passenger side, sounds like this may be the most common one. So far it looks like I'm lucky (Knock on wood), I found no metal shavings anywhere so I screwed in a new plug, put on a new coil pack and all seems well. Actually better, it's more quiet than ever, which got me thinking.....

These are not quiet trucks to begin with so if a sound gradually increased it's not always easy to tell. A couple times in the past several months I've thought mine sounded really loud but I ignored it because it's always been loud and it ran great. I thought it was injector noise, maybe an exhaust manifold leak or something. I even had the #3 coil pack go bad and still didn't catch on.

And then sure enough yesterday the #3 plug popped out!

Moral of the story, if you have a Triton V8 and start hearing loud noises, check your plugs.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Some of the newer Fords have had a problem with plugs popping out, if I remember there were a couple of recalls over this issue.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
To the best of my knowledge they haven't recalled the '04's and earlier. Sometimes I don't know why I'm still a Ford guy.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I had this same problem on my 01 F150. It has the 4.6l V8 and started to get a little louder just before I blew out one of my plugs last year. My truck has 168,000 on it, and I replaced the plugs at 130,000. It sounded like the exhaust was leaking when in actuality the plug was getting loose.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I had this same problem on my 01 F150. It has the 4.6l V8 and started to get a little louder just before I blew out one of my plugs last year. My truck has 168,000 on it, and I replaced the plugs at 130,000. It sounded like the exhaust was leaking when in actuality the plug was getting loose.

Yup, and I'm kicking myself now because tightening it up 6 months ago would have left me in a better situation, especially since I had the coil pack off already once. In hindsight I can't believe how quiet it sounds now!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Most of the shops that do oil changes and servicing on these trucks and cars around here now, actually check the plugs as part of the package, I have heard this has become the norm in many places around the country. Now if you do your own service, I would say it would be prudent to go the extra step and check your plugs when you service your rig.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
This makes me nervous. My 2005 F-150 has started making a whistling noise when the engine revs (and when it's cold). I'm wondering if one or more of the plugs are loose. Would they be loose enough that you could feel it testing by hand?

Tnstratofam

Commander
If you think you might have one getting loose you should check them all. Don't over tighten, and if it's time to change them this would be a good time.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
This makes me nervous. My 2005 F-150 has started making a whistling noise when the engine revs (and when it's cold). I'm wondering if one or more of the plugs are loose. Would they be loose enough that you could feel it testing by hand?

The problem in the '05 models is generally the opposite; plug(s) don't want to come out when it's time to change them.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I knew about the plugs not coming out, but the document cited indicates that the loose plugs are sometimes a problem on the 2005 Tritons, too.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I knew about the plugs not coming out, but the document cited indicates that the loose plugs are sometimes a problem on the 2005 Tritons, too.

LOL. Why in the world do we keep buying these dadgummed Fords? I just bought another Expedition!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
LOL. Why in the world do we keep buying these dadgummed Fords? I just bought another Expedition!

I REALLY like my F-150. I wish Ford would do the right thing and own up to the problem, but otherwise it's been a great truck.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I'd consider checking your plugs! Mine had an odd 3-5 second whistling sound that came and went but seemed worse in the winter. I thought it was coming from the driver side under the dash, maybe a heating/cooling vent or something, but never figured it out. I've googled it and found nothing, you're the only other person I've heard mention it. Maybe it's coincidence but on my drive home tonight I realized I haven't heard that sound since Sunday and it's been plenty cold out. If I hear it tomorrow I'll post here. The good news is I think the whistling came long before the exhaust leak type sound which was definitely from the loose .

Have you had a look at it? Those plugs are really down in there, my 6" extension barely cleared the valve cover. Also the coil pack has to come off (7mm socket), so you can get to it. Just checking the front 6 plugs would probably take me at least 20 minutes each. The back 2 are a whole different situation. It seems the 3rd cylinder is a pretty common one so that may be the place to start. By the time you go through the effort to check it's almost worthwhile just to replace the plugs too.

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I don't know how Ford can't own up to this BS but I do love my Expedition. It's crazy, either the plugs wont come out, they pop out on their own, or they crack and fall into the cylinder.

Mine is an 04 with 93K miles. I was going to change the plugs in the spring but this may have changed my plans a bit. I want to get things lined up in case the plug pops again so I called a couple shops yesterday. The shop I trust the most said they'd change all 8 plugs for $300. He also said he'd use a cam to check out the threads on the 3rd cylinder and if needed for another $50 they'd put a sleeve in it. If I just bring it in to inspect the one cylinder and get the sleeve it will cost me about $200. The front 6 plugs are relatively easy but the back 2 are no fun and I can't put in the sleeve so for the piece of mind I may just have him do it all.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd consider checking your plugs! Mine had an odd 3-5 second whistling sound that came and went but seemed worse in the winter. I thought it was coming from the driver side under the dash, maybe a heating/cooling vent or something, but never figured it out. I've googled it and found nothing, you're the only other person I've heard mention it. Maybe it's coincidence but on my drive home tonight I realized I haven't heard that sound since Sunday and it's been plenty cold out. If I hear it tomorrow I'll post here. The good news is I think the whistling came long before the exhaust leak type sound which was definitely from the loose .

Have you had a look at it? Those plugs are really down in there, my 6" extension barely cleared the valve cover. Also the coil pack has to come off (7mm socket), so you can get to it. Just checking the front 6 plugs would probably take me at least 20 minutes each. The back 2 are a whole different situation. It seems the 3rd cylinder is a pretty common one so that may be the place to start. By the time you go through the effort to check it's almost worthwhile just to replace the plugs too.

I've not had a chance to check them. The sound I hear is a whistling; I thought maybe I had a vacuum leak or the air filter was really clogged and sucking air (it wasn't), but I would never have thought to check. It stops after the engine is fully warmed.

I didn't realize what is required to check the plugs. Not looking forward to that...

Jim

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I don't know how Ford can't own up to this BS but I do love my Expedition. It's crazy, either the plugs wont come out, they pop out on their own, or they crack and fall into the cylinder.

Mine is an 04 with 93K miles. I was going to change the plugs in the spring but this may have changed my plans a bit. I want to get things lined up in case the plug pops again so I called a couple shops yesterday. The shop I trust the most said they'd change all 8 plugs for $300. He also said he'd use a cam to check out the threads on the 3rd cylinder and if needed for another $50 they'd put a sleeve in it. If I just bring it in to inspect the one cylinder and get the sleeve it will cost me about $200. The front 6 plugs are relatively easy but the back 2 are no fun and I can't put in the sleeve so for the piece of mind I may just have him do it all.

This isn't plug related but I can't stress how important it is. You probably already know but I'll throw it out there just in case because it is absolutely critical for your particular engine. Change the oil every 3k miles and always always always use 5W20 and a Motorcraft filter. You may have heard about the cam phaser noise but here's the rest of the story. The cam phaser noise is a symptom, not a cause. So many people have just thrown cam phasers at it only to have the noise return because the cause is oil starvation. The 5W20 and the check valve unique to the Motorcraft filter help mitigate the issue to an extent. Some folks laugh at the idea that the filter brand and oil weight are that critical but they really are in this case. The other issue that's common to that engine is timing chain tensioner and/or seal failure which will of course exacerbate the oiling problem. If yours is still relatively quiet at 93k miles that's good, but if the noise has increased you really might want to start saving your pennies. I can go into greater detail if you want, but only if you want LOL. Not trying to scare you bud, just want make you aware of what to watch out for in case you're not already. I just punted my 05 with 123k miles because it had gotten really loud. I talked to several mechanics including at the dealer and independents, one of whom was a former Ford employee, and they all told me to either drive it til it grenaded or swap it now while I still could. Again, I can go into more detail as to why but only if asked. That wasn't my original plan but I couldn't afford to risk being stranded in a remote area with my daughter along and truck full of gear with boats on top so I swapped it. They all thought it had quite a few miles left in it but..........

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Also, I'd definitely go ahead and do the plugs ASAP. $300 is a great price but I'd strongly encourage you to make sure he knows about the breaking off issue, otherwise $300 could quickly turn into a lot more.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Timing chain tensioners can be a really big deal on many of the Ford model engines, I have had several models, that I have had to replace them or replace the timing chains due to their failures.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Timing chain tensioners can be a really big deal on many of the Ford model engines, I have had several models, that I have had to replace them or replace the timing chains due to their failures.

Yep. Seals are also a common issue on the 04-06 vintage though.