And now the fun starts AHHHHHHH

rbh

Fleet Admiral
OK then, well last fall I pulled the injectors on my truck with the 7.3 power stroke,It had two bad so I replaced them with new ones.
So now I am getting ready to put everything back together, starting with pulling the glow plugs so I can blow the oil out of the cylinders so it does not lock up and bend valves.

All goes well till I do the rear one on the passenger side and its seized in?? (It rotated/screwed out so I thought) and when I went to pull it it would not go.
Grabbed on to the center stud with a set of pliers, pulled it- the center section was in the piers the hex piece is MIA and the threads connected to the rest of it is stuck in the hole!.

So now off comes the head!

AHHHHHHHH

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No! Go pick up a set of easy outs, with the spirals on them and juice it real good with PB blaster, let it sit for a while and put the easy out in it and try to eze it out, I have had to do this with some fittings on hydraulic hoses this winter, cause they just ain't coming out. I use the ones with the spirals on them and use a square socket, I have also used an adjustable wrench to get this type of situation taken care of.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
You know if I could- I would !

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Zen moment, nope that did'nt work (OH crap) LOL

BUT that FREAKEN Hex/nut head popped off and I can not find it and I am betting it went down the hole where the push rod comes out.????????

(robby will get a good nights sleep and Mcgiver this one. (since when did Mcgiver become a verb?, freaken hollywood!)

Freaken is officially not a four letter word, just sounds like one, like firetrucken)

GRRR

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Good luck pal. If it doesn't work out I can send you a blue Expedition.:lol:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Holy Smokes!

Ok, so I lucked out, I removed the rocker assembly and the push rod. Took my magnet on the extension that has the swivels on it and put a chunk of hose over it a taped it on to keep it straight, pushed it 8 inches down the hole and BINGO! got the #$$%# Hex piece.

All parts accounted for.

Now I will attempt to easy out the glow plug tube, I am soaking it first before I attempt to remove it, I might even take the heat gun and blast some hot air down the hole that the push rod came out of as its side casting is along side the glow plug.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Well then, I attempted the spiral removal tool- Did not work!

Pulled out the oxy acetylene, heated it then tried again-SNAP!

OFF WITH THIS HEAD (getting a bad Valentine flash back Alice AHHHHH)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well ya tried, I am glad it is you and not me! I hate pulling heads, especially with big engines!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Ug. I feel your pain man. I love those 7.3s though... big Mac Daddys.

dolluper

Captain
Most machine shops can do it with the heads on....worth a call to one save you a lot of work

rbh

Fleet Admiral
So after lots of screwing about and plenty of utube videos the heads off. drifted the heating end of the glow plug (valve side) back up through the glow plug, this knocked out the broken extractor.
Then I used a square style extractor and removed the section that is threaded, Now I need to figure out how to get the last 3 inches out- its not threaded and need to use a tap or self tapping bolt to form a damn so I can drive it out the same way I did the broken extractor piece-Maybe??