Well it only took a month, but big first crash!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have been having a ball with my new RC copter that I got for Christmas.....that is until this evening, had the training skids on it and had it in a hover and looked down, and whamo! it rolled over and the main rotor struck the tail boom, bent the heck out of the boom, broke the control rod for the rotor, talk about a massive amount of power these things had, my wife and I looked at each other said, I don't want that thing to hit me in the leg! It would break your leg if it ran into you!

Yikes!!!!

Glad I have spare parts on hand!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That reminds me of my R/C days. I good friend of ours was flying a huge very high end copter. And while he was flying, he lost all control. He turn, collapsed his antenna and said, I don't know what happened, but it going to cost a lot of money, just before the copter went into the ground hard. It looked like a huge bomb went off with pieces scattered all over the R/C field...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's why I do R/C boats. No dropping out of the sky.......

southkogs

Staff member
We just started a build with our CAP cadets last night : FPV Quadcopters. They're having to assemble them, and we're hoping that we can move from line-of-sight flying to first person view virtual flight by end of year. Another couple of weeks and I'll be flying with ya' MT.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I still have about 9 larger plane kits stored in the attic. I since sold off everything else knowing that if or when I get around to building any of them, I'll be buying the latest and greatest R/C radio equipment at that time. Problem is those plane kits are on the larger sizes and were designed around the larger 2 cycle engines when designed. I was since thinking that I would modify them to use the newer more powerful electric offerings. So I didn't have to worry about fuel prices and starters and glow plugs and such. So one day ...we'll see. I flown and taught R/C to so many others being an instructor for years. I do remember days when I would arrive at the R/C field and never even have time to fuel up and fly any of my planes because of the many folks waiting for me to assist them with their flying abilities... The best invention ever was the buddy cord system! Not one crash with those learning to fly R/C ever. I'm probably rusty not though!

TexMonty

Seaman
I too am/was a RC freek for many many years. I have also experienced a 90 size copter explode at my feet and it happens soooo fast! I still have a shop full of 25-40% scale aerobatic planes. It was a fantastic hobby but I am really thinking about getting rid of all of them before they are useless. I would really rather se someone flying them and than rot in my shop.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
This one is a 450 class, not a giant, but not a small one either, the total rotor width on this one is about 700 mm, which is almost 28 inches, it sounds awesome when it is on run up as the blade balance out and start turning at full speed. After what I experienced last night, I sure would not want it to run into me!

I was looking through youtube last night and some of these guys got way more money than I do, watched a video of a guy that has a B-52 model that has 8 jet turbine engines and the wing span is over 25 feet! Another guy uses an RC to spray insecticide on his rice patties, that copter was almost as tall as he was standing up straight! Crazy stuff, if you have a little time to waste , watch some of those videos.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guy in my area owned his own large hobby shop AND field. Actually a famer as well with his own R/C field and a normal regular air field for his crop dusting and other planes. He built a huge scale B17. It was an amazingly large model and he would fly it at the yearly flyins around the mid-state and other close states. He would usually draw a huge crowd with local TV crews and news reporters. That plane was massif. I helped him get it ready one day and he had four engines on that plane and when he did his preflight take off engine run up, it would actually try to drag me along with it. I had to dig my keels in hard to keep from moving. He actually had that plane in magazine articles for a few years before he totaled it at a flyin... Initially he stated that he had well over $10,000 dollars in it. And that was about twenty years ago now...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I watched one last night on a meet in Germany, it was a Concord Passenger Jet, with the whole tilt nose and 4 gas turbines, it flew at over 100 mph the guy said he had close to 100K in that thing, like I said, they have way more money than I do! His not only had a controller, but it also has an onboard computer, just in case something goes wrong, it is programed with the airfield location and can land itself if contact is lost!