Can't update or install Adobe Flash Player?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
For some time I have been getting a message that firefox has prevented the outdated plugin Adobe Flash from running. I have tried to use the FF check add-ons page but nothing happens. It just sits there with the little circle spinning. I tried to update AFP and the file will download but it will not run or install.

I then googled the subject and they said sometimes you have to delete AFP and reinstall it so it took me to a page with an AFP uninstall function. I did this and confirmed that it did not show in add/remove programs. I then tried to install the latest version. Same thing as before. It won't install. It goes to initialize and just sits there with a blank window.

Also of curiosity, even before I uninstalled ver 11??? of AFP, it never showed up on the addon/plugin manager page. I only have 4 listed and two of them are diabled. One is Adblock, one is Test Pilot and the disabled ones are Java Quick Starter and Microsoft.Net framework assistant, along with a note that is is incompatible with FF ver 36.

Any ideas? A lot of things you view on the net need adobe flash player.

bigdee

Commander
That is not true, I just updated one of my computers this morning.

It is true for FF on linux. Have to use shockwave flash player instead. Since the OP said his FF would not accept updates I assumed he had a Linux os.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Fire Fox is not a Linux system? Linux is its own separate operating system, heck in the whole scope of things, most people don't even know what Linux is! Boom uses the standard FF for Windows.

bigdee

Commander
LOL

Less than 2% of computers run Linux and that was your guess of what he uses? :facepalm:

OK I am going to refrain from giving a smart reply like you did. He is getting the same message on FF as I got a month ago....I also run windows os and did not have any issues with FF. I participate on this forum to help....not to be a smart ars

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, if you can't get it to update, then go to control panel, programs and uninstall flash, then go back online and reinstall it, you will get the latest version.

By the way are you trying to do this on your XP machine or one of the others you have?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OK I am going to refrain from giving a smart reply like you did. He is getting the same message on FF as I got a month ago....I also run windows os and did not have any issues with FF. I participate on this forum to help....not to be a smart ars
Hey I thought it was pretty funny!

Of course many of us know Boom's computer issues since he has at least one computer question every week and we know he doesn't have Linux.

BTW, Adobe still supports FireFox for Linux with security updates and it should still run correctly even with the last version.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't think Bruce was offering a Smart A** answer, but as he said, Boom has questions about his computers quite often, perhaps you have not seen them often.

bigdee

Commander
Hey I thought it was pretty funny!

O
BTW, Adobe still supports FireFox for Linux with security updates and it should still run correctly even with the last version.
ONLY previous versions
"NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux".
vulnerable 11.2.202.440

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
ONLY previous versions
"NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux".
vulnerable 11.2.202.440

Yep, that's what I just said. Last version for Linux.

Doesn't matter. He does NOT have Linux.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, if you can't get it to update, then go to control panel, programs and uninstall flash, then go back online and reinstall it, you will get the latest version.

By the way are you trying to do this on your XP machine or one of the others you have?

Yeah, I am trying to do it on XP. ...and I already uninstalled it using an Adobe uninstall feature. As I mentioned, I did verify that it was not longer listed in Add/Remove Programs.

I also tried to reinstall it using Internet Explorer in case something in FF was affecting the install. I was able to download the latest AFP exe, it just would not run or install either thru IE or FF.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boom, go to the FF support page and search for the Flash Player Plugin, then download and install, you should also be able open a browser window on FF then to to tools and add ons and search for the flash plugin and install it or update it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Boom, go to the FF support page and search for the Flash Player Plugin, then download and install, you should also be able open a browser window on FF then to to tools and add ons and search for the flash plugin and install it or update it.

Here is what I just did. I closed all browsers and went to my downloads folder. I double clicked on the AFP ver 16 x 32 install file. A rectangular box, titled Adobe Flash Player initializer, opened up and it was grey blank and stayed that way. Soon a full browser window opened and said PAGE NOT FOUND. I closed that all out and went back to the download folder and selected a different install file for AFP ver 13 x 32 (earlier I guess).

I clicked on it and the initializer box opened and went straight to a horizontal loading bar. After a few seconds the bar completed and flashed a message that "initialization failed". That is the same thing that has happened in the past when I had been prompted to update AFP. The inilialization always failed. I have other install exe's for ver 10 and 11 but I will not try to install them. ver 11 was the one I just uninstalled and the one I kept getting messages that it was out of date.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you go into firefox and then Tools/Add-Ons/PlugIns does the old Flash plugin still show up in there?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Something else I just learned is that Adobe Flash Player is listed as SHOCKWAVE in the FF Addons Manager page. That has never shown up there even before I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player. I had thought about RESETING FireFox but I do not think that is an issue as AFP will not even install under IE.