Braun Series 7 electric shaver... Good? Cleaning station worth having?

BF

Lieutenant
Time to replace my electric shaver. I've had rotary for the last couple, (philips & remington) haven't been really satisfied with either of them. I did have 2 brauns previously... first one was great. It was just single foil, but was of high overall quality and gave a good shave. It lasted for years... The second Braun was a piece of junk, maybe because it was a cheapo model made for discount retail (?). Anyway, it broke within a year, and I switched to rotary.

I think I want to go back to a foil and am thinking of the Braun series 7... anyone have one and have good or bad things to say about it? How about the cleaning/charging station? I'm not overly thrilled with having another thing sitting permanently on the vanity, but if running it through the cleaning thing weekly seems to add some benefit, I might do that... seems like one could refill the cartridge in the base with alcohol instead of buying refills.. Or I could just get the cheaper 720 version that doesn't have the cleaning base, and rinse the foil out myself...

Thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
Used a Braun only a few times way back and didn't much care for it, never tried the newer model. Been using Norelco's for many years with mixed results until the wife picked up my current one, about 6 years ago. Don't remember the model but it's real smooth and shaves closer then any I've had before. As with all of them the blades need to be replaced every so often. This one can be used in the shower

82rude

Rear Admiral
ALLDODGE .my shaver is a Panasonic that can be used wet or dry.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a Braun series 3 about 15 mos ago and it has shaved better than the last two or three Norelcos I've had. I used Norelcos for many,many yrs but I think their quality has gone down.
Mike

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've had a Braun for a long time, maybe 10 years or so. The foil has been replaced twice and the cutting block once. I have the charging/ cleaning stand which gets used about every 2-3 weeks. I just tap out the whiskers after using it and seal up the cleaning cartridge in between uses.

BF

Lieutenant
Well, I took the plunge and bought a Braun series 7 off amazon... just arrived today. I think the quality looks good (as it should for the price!). I did get the one with the cleaning/charging station... so we'll see if that is something that I like in the long term...it looks like it should be a good thing. I figured maybe the shave quality would be better if the foil and cutters were kept cleaner than you get by just banging the whiskers out. After I use it a few times, I'll post a follow up.