connecting to a VPN

nwcove

Admiral
in general laymans terms, how do you connect to a VPN? ( a work from home thing)

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Go to the network you want to connect to, they may have a setup your VPN site should have a VPN client program, download it, install and connect, then depending on your windows version go to control panel, remote desk top connection, connect to the network enter your credential.
(watch your user name, usually has to have the network prefix)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your work IT should be able to tell you. To connect to the VPN at my work, they have a web portal set up to login and then it launches a local client.

thumpar

Admiral
It depends on the VPN type. Some will work directly with windows and some need a client. I have some that I setup with Cisco ASAs and they need a special client software.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, you will need some information from your place of work as to what type of VPN they have (so the I.T. department will be the place to check with).

At my company, we have moved much of the I.T. resources to 'the cloud' so our employees do not need VPN or other remote access in order to do their work remotely. Of course, now we have to re-educate everyone. Just yesterday, I was fielding question about that . . . :rolleyes:

dolluper

Captain
Most have software provided from work and require a password also from work configuration vary by system,ifin you have a router or not modem ask at work for setup destructions

Last edited: